gosp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I'm able to program. While I've never really studied the topic, I do have an interest in Computer Science. Until now, I've only really interested myself with mathematics and data structure type things. I've pulled up an archive of ACSL problems which I've done without any notable problems. I can balance a binary tree or reverse a linked list and all the good fun stuff like that.

I've never ever experienced anything outside of the command line.

So now I want to start some stuff. I've created ascii pong in PASCAL and ascii tetris in Cpp. Now I want to get into some actual game programming.

I've never used a book before, my prior experience comes from my brother saying basically 'figure this out' and so on.

I figure I'll start with a 2d platformer of some sort, as that seems simpler than anything else. I can figure out collision detection, I'm sure, but my real problems comes with graphic display and manipulation.

So... any suggestions on what I should look up? What I should read?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
You can find a lot of tutorials in the Internet.

I think something easy to start is Actionscript/Flash, since you don't have to worry too much about graphic and sound programing and can focus more on game logic programming.

If you want to try something with C++, SDL is a good start. And, as weird as it might sound, DS homebrew development using PALib is also quite easy for beginners. Just type those on google with the word "tutorial" and you'll find a lot of reading material.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    "it was so hard the first time"
    +1
    Gift
    "Time to transfer files" bro having sex with robots
    +1
    Gift
    honestly knowing ken that isn't that unbelievable
    +1
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    arent many ps5 exclusives it's true, but there are a whole lot of ps4 games that got ps5 upgrades
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and those have to be stored on one of the SSDs
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    "time to smash the stack"
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Uremum does like to call me dadbot
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nothing beats a midnight shower
    Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I'd say there would be more PS5 exclusives...if people could actually buy PS5s.
    Gift
  • Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I mean, if no-one can buy a PS5, and thus is stuck with PS4 (Pros), then companies would still see some profit from developing PS4 games with PS5 upgrades; meanwhile, if they developed a PS5 game, then everyone who can't get that console won't buy that game, especially at launch.
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nah every console starts early with low libraries
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    well theyre churning them out as fast as they possibly can, not like Xbox or PC are faring much better with the chip shortages
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and games still take 4-6 years to develop regardless, so its not like sony can conjure up new exclusives out of thin air
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Makes me wonder what they have now and are actually hiding from the public
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I hope in the next 5 years they can move on to even more realistic skin renders and not just make characters look like Shiney clay molds
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm waiting for the ultimate DLC, "The Most Dangerous Game".
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Let me hunt people or GTFO :angry:
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    It's just a $1 just shoot some dogs
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I tried the chick fil a sauce Walmart has now it lives to the hype
    Gift
  • WG481 @ WG481:
    I swear you two are the only people who consistently use the chat feature