Hacking Professor Layton problem

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just loaded Professor Layton onto my Acekard2.1.

It boots to the main menu, where it has one option; 'New Game'.

I may be being a complete idiot but for the life of me I can't work out how to select 'New Game'. Ive tried every button and the stylus but nothing happens. The car continues to drive along at the bottom and the music continues to play.

I have tried the US and UK version of the game, I have tried deleting the save game, but nothing seems to work.

I know its probably something really simple. Any ideas?

Thanks
tim

ps I am using the latest AKAIO firmware

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Hello there. I havnt played this for a while, so i booted it up. It works fine for me

AK2.1 and AK2i
AKAOI 1.4.1

Everything works, just select new game with the stylus.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok so I tried it with The Official Acekard firmware and its slightly different.

With the acekard firmware, if i press 'New Game' with the stylus the new game button is depressed but nothing happens!

any ideas?

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the fast reply, but this really is a problem. It wont let me select new game.

Every other game I have works fine.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok downloaded 3 different roms.

Every rom on AK2 (latest version) firmware lets me press new game, but nothing happens

Every rom on AKAIO 1.4.1 doesnt even press the button.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried earlier firmwares? Where are you downloading your ROMs from? I hate it running on my Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.4.1 and it's working fine.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your help guys!
It gets weirder!

Touch screen works (in brain training)
Touch screen doesnt work on the AKAIO menu. If I click start the cursor keeps scrolled to the bottom and i cant really scroll up.
So I when into the nintendo menu. (I can click through the health screen with the stylus) but when I try to aline touch screen (config thing) it wont recieve any of my clicks!

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
tlangford said:
Is there anyway to factory reset the DS?
Or reset all options on AKAIO?
I dunno if you can reset the DS...It doesn't really contain any data. All saves are stored on the cards...Have you not got a dodgy touch screen? I'm not sure about AKAIO.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you ever run through the DS setup options and calibrated your touchscreen?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...ion.html?cat=19

Also, check the surround around your touch screen, if some random bit of junk gets jammed in there it causes the touchscreen to always read that position. There is a way to test it, taken from the sosuke EZ forum
Mbmax said:
So i have decided to run the test that MatLeOuf has done and here is the result :

Touch screen test OK on my White DSL !

Touch screen test WRONG on my Black DSL !
See the "OK" video for an example of what the touchtest should look like on a working touchscreen (the other and the ez thread is in regards to faulty touchscreens from BigN, not damaged ones.) The tar.bz2 file can be opened with 7zip or winrar, it has a .nds homebrew and some source in it - just run the homebrew.

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
tlangford said:
Thanks for your help guys!
It gets weirder!

Touch screen works (in brain training)
Touch screen doesnt work on the AKAIO menu. If I click start the cursor keeps scrolled to the bottom and i cant really scroll up.
So I when into the nintendo menu. (I can click through the health screen with the stylus) but when I try to aline touch screen (config thing) it wont recieve any of my clicks!

Yes he has.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you posted while I was completing my thoughts, but I didn't see that. So, in answer to my own question "Have you ever run through the DS setup options and calibrated your touchscreen?" - no, he hasn't since he can't complete it.

It really does sound like a piece of random junk has gotten under the edge of the touchscreen surround which is more of a problem on lites but can affect either. I know on my lite in games where you can press the touch screen to cause text to advance I use the colored surround for those presses all the time (keeps the screen clean and is a shorter push than the abxy buttons) - it rests right against the edge of the touchscreen and is flexible enough to be a relatively soft touch button, but that flexibility can also allow junk to get in under it more easily.

Use the touch demo in the link, get it running and tap in the middle of the screen somewhere - it's a good bet the ball will always travel back to one of the edges on it's own which would tell you where to look (with a pin or something) for defects or junk that doesn't belong.

Also, to essentially reset the DS user settings just take the battery out for a while (even just a few seconds, the DS will recognize this and prompt to set things again, though don't start it initially with any flashcarts inside unless you want to try with nulled user settings.) Things like date/time, user name, alarm, birthday, colors as well as touch calibration are all stored in the DS settings block of it's internal flash memory.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all your help people.

Touch screen was buggered and seeing as I was still in the exchange period at Game I took it back and swapped it for a good one.

All sorted. Thanks alot!

tim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there