Problems with R4-Pro Gold

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by tonzr3, May 24, 2010.

May 24, 2010

Problems with R4-Pro Gold by tonzr3 at 11:34 PM (2,089 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. tonzr3
    OP

Newcomer tonzr3 Newbie

United States
    I'm having problems with using moonshell2 and up. I'm not sure if it's because that YSMenu doesn't work on R4-Pro or that moonshell2 doesn't work on SDHC cart. If that's true how can I make moonshell2+ work on a R4-Pro with or without a YSMenu?

Ps: The site is r4-pro.com, or r4new.com. Also moonshell 1.71 seems to work and I have no intention of using it since I have a bunch of dpg3 or 4 files that don't work.

2. tonzr3
    OP

Newcomer tonzr3 Newbie

United States
    Any help would be great. (bump)

3. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Did you mean "SDHC card?" Moonshell2 will work on MicroSDHC, so you can rule that possibility out.

Unfortunately your R4-Pro Gold is a known clone, which generally means that the manufacturer doesn't care to support its product. Clone manufacturers do not like to reveal technical details of the hardware or firmware because it's been ripped off and they want to pretend it hasn't. This means the community rarely has resources or documentation on specific clones that could help you solve the problems that occur from age and lack of support. I want to help you but the best I can do is make the following suggestion.

Try to find out and verify which hardware was cloned in your specific cartridge. There are many different "Gold" R4's, and I don't know that there is a fast procedure you can follow to figure this out. What I did when I was researching my R4i Gold, was spend roughly two and a half days of googling around and trying different YSMenu build methods. A large part of that googling was spent deciphering Japanese and Chinese forums and bulletin boards and that felt like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    The purpose of finding out what hardware your clone is based on is to determine whether or not it is actually impossible to build YSMenu that will work in any of the three ways you can run YSMenu. What I figured out about my clone was that it was only possible to run YSMenu as an NDS file from the official firmware, and that YSMenu would not actually load anything once it was running.

It's up to you whether this is worth your time, and it may only take you 15 minutes of searching to get definitive results.

The alternative is replacing your card, which is a good idea if good homebrew support is important to you.

4. tonzr3
    OP

Newcomer tonzr3 Newbie

United States
    Not worth my time. This is totally bull SH--!

Edit: I can't get the sticker to get off the flashcart.

5. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    I don't understand. Why would you try to remove the sticker?

6. tonzr3
    OP

Newcomer tonzr3 Newbie

United States
    No idea I just thought that the screw is on the front.