Misc Problems with DS wifi and routers

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been running around my house experimenting with my DS' wifi, and after figuring out as much as I could, there are two things I cannot figure out:

1. I cannot connect to my second router, acting as a linked access point, with an error code of 51300. It's funny that a couple of times I'd power trip the router, the DS may connect to it, but immediately disconnect and continue with the same problem. HOWEVER, my main router which the other is seeding from, works just fine. This is odd to me since enabling the routers as access points is supposed to make them identical. So, am I not able to connect a DS onto an "access point"?

2. I cannot get most of my homebrew applications on the internet regardless of which router I'm using. When I say most, some exceptions would be internet browsers like Bunjalloo or DSOrganize. Even the WiFi Engine on my flash cart will search for games, but will not download anything (I don't use this anyway, although it's just another example.) NDSMail has the option to look for access points, but none of mine show up. Finally, I've used most of these apps a long time ago before, so I know they work. So, what's going on here? What am I missing?

I have a NDSLite running version 5.
Here is my router's configuration, just open in WordPad.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The proper settings for a router to work with a DS is WEP 64-bit encryption tops (I've heard of people using 128-bit keys but I personally never managed to get it working), if your router is anywhere over that then it's not going to work.

To determine whether this is the router's fault despite correct settings, create an Open, non-encrypted network with no key and try to connect to it. If the issues carry on popping up, check if you haven't accidentally blocked your DS on the MAC blacklist.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yo your not suppoed to download games onto the ds from games negine. you need to download the games engine software then choose the file in the r4i menu folder then you choose your game in the wifi engine and it will start downloading on the computer and the progrss is omn the r4i

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record the DS is very picky about what routers it connects to- it has got far better in recent years but back when it was the sort of thing you looked up on a compatibility list and what you described is one of the most common failure methods (sees the point, supposedly connects and ultimately never manages to get beyond that). Homebrew did occasionally tweak things a bit here (some homebrew would not work where others and commercial stuff would). Occasionally there were things you could do options wise short of dropping encryption and other protections (although I still hold most things beyond encryption until you get to heuristics are pointless at best- I know wep breaking is at fire and forget/no brainer level these days but still) but these were rare and often less than ideal.

As for AP mode that kind of depends on how you do it (layer 2 vs layer 3) but that is besides the point as it still faces the same problem mentioned in the previous paragraph.

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yo your not suppoed to download games onto the ds from games negine. you need to download the games engine software then choose the file in the r4i menu folder then you choose your game in the wifi engine and it will start downloading on the computer and the progrss is omn the r4i
Oh, so that's like a FTP service. Interesting.

Please don't veer off topic though, I would appreciate help from anyone to pin-point any of my two problems. Thanks.

PetMetroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Occasionally there were things you could do options wise short of dropping encryption and other protections (although I still hold most things beyond encryption until you get to heuristics are pointless at best- I know wep breaking is at fire and forget/no brainer level these days but still) but these were rare and often less than ideal.

I prolly would just disable WEP, but it's a family router and I shouldn't mess with that. When I get my own router back online (another desktop is using my cable until we can get a wireless receiver) I'll turn off the encryption and give that a go.

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My netgear router under WEP has an option called authentication type with the two options of automatic or shared key.

With automatic even some of my non-DS devices are unable to connect.
With shared key that problem goes away and all my devices are able to connect normally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-