Hardware Problem with L-Button

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a Cosmo black 3DS and its L-button starts to not react at press. After asking Google I found out that blowing into the button should fix the problem. So I did that and the L-button started to work again. But after a while it stops to work again and I have to blow into it again, sometimes a few times within minutes.

Anyone knows how to fix this permanently?

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think it's just broken, and that the permanent fix is to just send it to Nintendo, or get a new one (what i should do, 'cause ninty updates your console, unless you don't care about hax). I also had this problem with my DSi. Sorry bro :(

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Same happened to me.

Your L button is broken, get it to Nintendo quickly or they may refuse to fix it (replace your console) if your warranty is up.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Hm, that's a good one, i don't understand that either :huh:
Problem: Dirt clogs up between the button's metal contact points and shorts the electrical connection.

Solution (sort of): The conductive moisture in your breath temporarily bridges that connection again until evaporation.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oxidation on the button contact; I can assume that the moisture in your breath helps to create a more conductive surface.

Luckily, the buttons on the 3ds are on ribbons instead of soldered directly to the mobo. If you're not comfortable with soldering, you can pay more to buy them pre-soldered onto the ribbon. I've only found them on ebay though, and only from one seller, a few months back. You could try to solder new buttons on for much cheaper and always fall back on a complete ribbon replacement if you fail, which is what i am gonna do. Both of my shoulders are bad, i have a set of new buttons and a replacement ribbon at as well. If i properly solder the buttons, i can save the ribbons for the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte