freakE3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got myself a 2.5 Toshiba Canvio with 1TB 3days ago:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00KWHJY7Q...lid=2BVF7XQPT6XX6&coliid=I2N29PII4TLUSP&psc=1

and this y-cable:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00ZJBIHVY...lid=2BVF7XQPT6XX6&coliid=I29374O351OIJV&psc=1

Everything has been working fine till today. I started a simple ehop game named Dual Core. The error came with insufficient power for the drive. Everything had worked before, but now this shows up for the first time. Seems like it is still not getting enough power here and there. Sleepmode ist shut off for the drive on the Wii U.
Can somebody give some good advice for drives that don´t make problems due to high power usage. Hard to find low power drives, because not described on box. This is prbably something that has been discussed over and over. Maybe giving me a link to the right direction could help.
Would be happy if somebody could help out.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is you bought a canvio drive
The implemented sleep function on all Canvio drives is unable to be switched off. And while Toshiba is well aware of the problem, they have yet to address the issue anywhere as these drives continue to be sold. Why they made a drive that you can not switch off sleep mode is beyond me.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: freakE3

EvilBakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I use the " usb splitter " method to give enough power to hard drives, i have a toshiba too, basically it's like this:

nd7dds.png

And it works fine

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use the " usb splitter " method to give enough power to hard drives, i have a toshiba too, basically it's like this:

nd7dds.png

And it works fine
that is not a usb splitter that is a ten port USB hub which is very different. this is a usb y spliter cable

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    $_35.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 97

EvilBakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
that is not a usb splitter that is a ten port USB hub which is very different.

Ah sorry english is not my first language i tought it was called like that too

Well the important thing is that it needs to be powered, it doesn't matter if it has 10 or 4 usb slots as long as there is a power cable

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

EvilBakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No a y spliter is all that is needed as it gets the power from the two USB ports on the wiiu. that is how you use a HDD that does not have its own power supply.

Yes
But if you, like me, want to use other things like the gamecube adapter for smash bros or the ethernet cable adapter then the usb hub is better

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes
But if you, like me, want to use other things like the gamecube adapter for smash bros or the ethernet cable adapter then the usb hub is better
not really as the wiiu already has 4 usb ports and I can't think why you need any more. 2 for the y cable and 2 for the gamecube adapter. who in earth does not have WiFi and needs to use the ethernet adapter??

EvilBakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
not really as the wiiu already has 4 usb ports and I can't think why you need any more.

Yep, the wii u has 4 usb ports

In my case it is like this:

2 of them are taken by the gamecube adapter ( you can use only one actually, but by using one you don't have the vibration support )
1 is taken by the lan adapter
so you only have one left, and for the y splitter cable one is not enough

With the usb hub no problems

I guess it's up to you in the end, and on how many things you want / need to use :D

edit: I do, with lan adapter for some reason my speed on wii u is WAY better than Wi-Fi, if i use wi-fi to play smash bros or mario kart online i get errors most of the time, and lag, with lan cable everything is perfect

Last edited by EvilBakura,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not really as the wiiu already has 4 usb ports and I can't think why you need any more. 2 for the y cable and 2 for the gamecube adapter. who in earth does not have WiFi and needs to use the ethernet adapter??
I use an ethernet adapter because I have 1Gbs fiber Internet and my wifi doesn't go over 100Mbs. The ethernet won't go to 1Gbs over usb but it's way faster than wifi.

But like you said originally, I don't think the OPs issue is power if it has an unswitchable sleep mode. It's probably going to sleep.

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, time to do a SIMPLE test.....When the error occurs, pick up and hold your hard-drive in your hand (yeah I know how that sounds ;P) and see if it is vibrating or not..

Here is a conclusion chart I made especially for you my sweet child:
● Drive isn't vibrating at all = You have a sleep problem..
● Drive is vibrating violently = It isn't a sleep problem..

三The moar you know三★

Last edited by FF777,
Reactions: freakE3

freakE3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is you bought a canvio drive
The implemented sleep function on all Canvio drives is unable to be switched off. And while Toshiba is well aware of the problem, they have yet to address the issue anywhere as these drives continue to be sold. Why they made a drive that you can not switch off sleep mode is beyond me.

OK, now I know what is going on. I can still exchange the drive for a different one. But don´t all 2.5 drives have a sleep mode? But shouldn´t the drive not go to the sleep mode on the Wii U when I turn it off with Wii U settings?? Or is the Toshiba Canvio ignoring those settings and still going to take a nap?
After all, what are good suggestions for a 2.5 hard drive that doesn´t have that problem?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How about this from Seagate:
https://www.amazon.de/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-Festplatte-STEA1000400/dp/B00TKFEEAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485697853&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+Festplatte+»Expansion+Portable

or from WD: (don´t like this one, because it has that shiny plastic and the LED I can´t see when I connect it)
https://www.amazon.de/Western-Digit...F8&qid=1485697911&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+elements

other Suggestions?

Last edited by freakE3,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, now I know what is going on. I can still exchange the drive for a different one. But don´t all 2.5 drives have a sleep mode? But shouldn´t the drive not go to the sleep mode on the Wii U when I turn it off with Wii U settings?? Or is the Toshiba Canvio ignoring those settings and still going to take a nap?
After all, what are good suggestions for a 2.5 hard drive that doesn´t have that problem?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How about this from Seagate:
https://www.amazon.de/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-Festplatte-STEA1000400/dp/B00TKFEEAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485697853&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+Festplatte+»Expansion+Portable

or from WD: (don´t like this one, because it has that shiny plastic and the LED I can´t see when I connect it)
https://www.amazon.de/Western-Digit...F8&qid=1485697911&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+elements

other Suggestions?
It's simply like I said the canvas is the only type of hard drive that I know that does not have a switch off sleep mode so you should be fine with any other make of drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended