Hacking Problem with copying from SD to PC

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to back up my SD card to my PC, then format the SD with 64k clusters (it currently has 32k), then copy all the files back.

However, when I try to copy all the files over nothing happens. So I tried copying individual files and folders and it worked on all but 2 folders, the retroarch and "nintendo 3ds" folders.

They seem to be behaving strangely. When I examine the properties of these folders, I get these results:

http://imgur.com/a/hvki3

http://imgur.com/a/RmNMA

http://imgur.com/a/t1X6M

Both folders claim to be well over 25GB in size, and there are wierd files in the retroarch folder. The 3DS boots fine and everything runs fine. Even windows and godmode9 say that only half the space on the 32GB SD card is used. I just can't copy the nintendo 3ds and retroarch folders to my PC. I also looked at directory info for those folders in godmode9, and it says "Analyse dir: failed!"

Last edited by fenderjaguar,

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone help with this? It'd be much appreciated, thanks!

I'm starting to think I want to simply format the SD a-fresh. Should I use the "format system memory" in the 3DS system menu, or.....what? I know I will lose everything, I don't care about that really. I just want to know where I stand with the boot.firm and luma folder etc?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Anyone help with this? It'd be much appreciated, thanks!

I'm starting to think I want to simply format the SD a-fresh. Should I use the "format system memory" in the 3DS system menu, or.....what? I know I will lose everything, I don't care about that really. I just want to know where I stand with the boot.firm and luma folder etc?
Format doesn't really format the device, it just deletes user data. You won't lose b9s but I don't think it will help. I was going to say that your SD card is probably faulty but that doesn't really fit with the stuff on the SD card working previously on the console - unless it decided to go corrupt just at that moment. If you have a spare SD card it wouldn't hurt to try it just in case, but it doesn't sound like the typical corrupt SD card :unsure:

Reactions: fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. The SD card is pretty new, a sandisk 32GB, not fake. I would try another SD card, but how am I supposed to copy my nintendo 3ds folder to it? Will I just lose my games if I don't have that folder? Is there a list of files I can download to put on a fresh SD card? To be honest, I don't really want to copy any of the files off this SD, in case they are corrupt in some way, I would just like to know which files I need, bare minimum, is it just the boot.firm? (how come we even use the boot.firm on the SD, given that have it on the CRTNAND and can even update it with lumaupdater now?)

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Minimum:
Luma Folder (incl. payloads)
Boot.firm
Boot.3dsx

enough for the SD Card if you have not copied this files in CTRNAND ;)

Where can I download those files, so I don't have to copy potentially corrupted files from a potentially messed up/corrupted SD card?

Also, I do have boot.firm and maybe the luma folder in "rw" (?) on CRTNAND, so would it automatically use them, if those files weren't on the SD card?

Thanks.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Could be your SD card reader, in the past I've had problems when using newer cards (using newer standards) on older readers.

Try a different reader or device if you can.

Reactions: fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Could be your SD card reader, in the past I've had problems when using newer cards (using newer standards) on older readers.

Try a different reader or device if you can.

Problem is, the 3DS is reading all the same stuff with godmode9 (those corrupted files in the retroarch folder and reports Analyse dir: failed)

Anyway, I'm not sure about the SD card, I'll have to test it. The good news is I now know how to start again with a completely fresh SD, thanks to all the help in this thread. Thanks

Last edited by fenderjaguar,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.