Problem with 4gb SanDisk microSD and R4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by gast, Oct 19, 2008.

1. gast
    OP

gast Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2006
    I'm helping a friend with her R4, getting some roms and updated firmware for her new card.
    But it gets stuck at "Loading.." when I try to start it.
    Could it be that the R4 doesn't support memory cards that're that large?
    I tried with firmware 1.18 as well as 1.10.

Any suggestions? [​IMG]

Update: Tried running the R4 with my own 1gb microSD card that I use for my M3 (swapped firmware first), and it ran fine.
    So I suppose R4/M3 won't work with 4gb memory cards.

So my new question would be: Is there a work-around for this? Or do I simply have to get a smaller memory card?

2. Sticks

Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    No workaround, the hardware isn't compatible with SDHC cards. You'll need to get her a 2GB card.

3. mannie

mannie Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    Netherlands
    Groningen, holland, europe
    it's know that R4DS only works with 1 and 2gb cards

4. gast
    OP

gast Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2006
    Roger that.
    Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

5. tedmg09130913

tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2007
    United States
    Someone posted about how they made a 4 giga byte no sdhc card work in the wii. They filled up half the free memory space on the card with a couple of large files that they didn't want on the card. These were necessary to limit the free space on the card to about the free space on a 2 giga byte non sdhc card. After they had put the files they wanted on the card they deleted the unwanted files thus freeing up about another 2 giga bytes on the card. It may be that this same method could work on a 4 giga byte non sdhc card in the r4 thus giving 4 giga bytes on the r4. It seems the idea is to limit the amount of free space that is seen on the card at once:(to 2 giga bytes or less).

6. T1nmaN

T1nmaN Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    Canada
  7. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    your also not trying to use the search feature or google. its a clone kit, its not an official r4 kit. it runs decrypted/hacked firmware and used a different pcb which has an sdhc added slot.

-another world

8. kobykaan

kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

Aug 27, 2007
    what has a non SDHC card in a wii got to do with a SDHC micro sd in an R4 ds card ??

SDHC will not work on an ORIGINAL/REAL R4 period!! reason its a HARDWARE ISSUE! the hardware being the memcard slot!