Problem playing anything Bluray

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Ryoku83, Sep 5, 2011.

Sep 5, 2011
  1. Ryoku83
    OP

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Anyone really know a lot about the bluray drives in the PS3 and able to help me diagnose what could be broken so I can order a new part? The problem im having is that my PS3 will no longer play blurays (well not for long). If I put a movie in it will play for a min or so then freeze. Same problem with most PS3 games, I'll be running around in an area and then the music will stop. Then when I try to leave the area or talk to a NPC the game will freeze. My guess it anytime it needs to load anything off the disc it freezes. Games that have a install to HDD feature do not freeze. DVDs and PS1/2 games work fine.

Its a 80 GB CECHE01 NTSC PS3 Fat that came bundled with Motorstorm.

2. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Oddly enough my PS3 developed exactly the same problem last week. Fortunately mine was still under warranty so they sent me a replacement.

3. Ryoku83
    OP

Canada
    Guess I'll just order a replacement drive and hope it fixes the problem.

4. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Unfortunately just replacing the drive can't be done without problems (the logic board is paired with the motherboard of the bluray drive). Try opening up the blu-ray drive itself and clean the lens with some isopropyl alcohol

5. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    I don't have a PS3, but that sounds most likely to be a dirty lens to me. Sounds a lot like what started happening to my Wii when playing Brawl. Now it's hard to get it to even recognize the Brawl disc, but USB loaders solve that problem.

6. Ryoku83
    OP

Canada
    My wii started making a weird sound while playing. I figured the motor in the drive was going or something along those lines so thats what motivated me to softmod my wii. Now all i use the drive for is ripping games to my HDD. Sadly my PS3 Lens isn't dirty.

7. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Replacement drive shouldn't be any problem. Just swap the circuit board out with the new drive and you're fine.

By the way, where's a cheap place for replacements?