Homebrew Question Pro Controller Dead Zone

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware Description:
I have a Switch Pro Controller I've been using since launch. About half of the time when I let the stick go back to center after either inputting up or down it decides that instead of clicking back to actual center it should just hang around it but not actually be completely neutral for some reason. I've calibrated it many times; this does not help - in fact sometimes it refuses to recognize that I let the stick go completely and I have to retry calibration. Earlier today I opened the Pro Controller, cleaned out what I could, and shot compressed air at everything for good measure. The sticks are soldered to the board, so there's no swapping them, which is what I would've done as a compromise, but oh well.

My Switch is on firmware 9.2.0 and AMS 0.10.3. Basically, this is a hardware issue I'm not getting around and I'll just have to live with. Is there a homebrew option that will allow me to manually override the deadzone of my controller to say 5% or 10% on a system level? Obviously, some games are already coded with such hardware imprecision in mind, but it's really screwing with me in a lot of titles when I play in docked mode. I do not like using Joy Con in docked mode for comfort reasons, nor am I able to use a Gamecube controller at length because of wrist issues and a lack of buttons often needed for most software.

Is there something in existence currently that will allow for this? If not is there precedent that such homebrew could be created?

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hardware Description:
I have a Switch Pro Controller I've been using since launch. About half of the time when I let the stick go back to center after either inputting up or down it decides that instead of clicking back to actual center it should just hang around it but not actually be completely neutral for some reason. I've calibrated it many times; this does not help - in fact sometimes it refuses to recognize that I let the stick go completely and I have to retry calibration. Earlier today I opened the Pro Controller, cleaned out what I could, and shot compressed air at everything for good measure. The sticks are soldered to the board, so there's no swapping them, which is what I would've done as a compromise, but oh well.

My Switch is on firmware 9.2.0 and AMS 0.10.3. Basically, this is a hardware issue I'm not getting around and I'll just have to live with. Is there a homebrew option that will allow me to manually override the deadzone of my controller to say 5% or 10% on a system level? Obviously, some games are already coded with such hardware imprecision in mind, but it's really screwing with me in a lot of titles when I play in docked mode. I do not like using Joy Con in docked mode for comfort reasons, nor am I able to use a Gamecube controller at length because of wrist issues and a lack of buttons often needed for most software.

Is there something in existence currently that will allow for this? If not is there precedent that such homebrew could be created?
Having the exact same issue here

ozling

Trophies
XP
Country
I just replace the analogue controller for the joy cons. Each unit is ~$5 and comes with screw drivers to open your unit. No soldering needed.

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just replace the analogue controller for the joy cons. Each unit is ~$5 and comes with screw drivers to open your unit. No soldering needed.
That solution does work for Joy Con controllers; I've opened them myself and swapped the sticks since the right one wasn't as bad. The original topic is Pro Controllers however. I've opened one of those as well, and not only are the motors soldered onto the board, but reliable trustworthy replacements are just not commercially available. I was hoping for a software solution that would be able to prevent me from having to replace the whole controller.

The 10.0.0 firmware update was a nice middle finger to people having these kinds of problems since they didn't include dead-zone configuration. Oh, what's that? You don't like the claw-grip that results when you swap the sticks? Sounds like someone should work on growing a new hand...

I recently tried sys-con out as well, but as it turns out that only works for unofficial usb controllers. That was a bit of a let-down, and seems like wasted potential.

Reactions: ozling

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE