Hardware Pro Controller Battery Mod?

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahoy! I come bearing a question that I hope someone will have some information on. So, the Pro Controller...I love the thing but one issue I have that reeeeaaallllly gets me going is the fact that any button press (or most of them anyway) will turn the controller on. This wouldn't be a problem if it was just sitting on my desk, however I travel with the controller and system in my backpack any time I leave and it's constantly being activated. I could look past this if it didn't affect my gaming...when playing in handheld (with the controller still in my backpack) my games will randomly not respond to the attached Joy Cons as it is giving priority to the Pro Controller. This issue has caused me many unfortunate and rage inducing moments in the heat of playing a game with intense focus. So I'm looking to remedy this with a hard mod. I was originally just gunna cut a window in the plastic on the back to remove the battery for transport but am positive I may regret that. I also considered cutting just a small portion out where the battery leads touch the switch leads so that I could push a piece of something between them to sever the connection but am concerned about potentially doing damage. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any way to achieve my dream without buying a dumb case for my controller?

EDIT: I do know how to remove the battery and all that jazz. I have disassembled it and many other electronics, I am looking to make the battery easier to disconnect and reconnect in a relatively short time period.

Last edited by Arrrchitects,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i wouldn't cut or do anything to the controller the easiest way really is to get a case for it preferably one of them hard molded cases that fit it perfectly.

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wouldn't cut or do anything to the controller the easiest way really is to get a case for it preferably one of them hard molded cases that fit it perfectly.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid that as I don't need a case for the controller. For the purpose of this thread pretend like controller cases killed my father and I refuse to ever talk to one again.

SapphireExile

Sapphire
Trophies
Website
sapphirelabs.online
XP
Country
United States
So here's an idea, if you are any good at soldering.
1. Cut a small hole somewhere inconspicuous and where your hand isn't going to rub during use, in order to fit a small push button.
2. It must be a latching button, eg able to stay in / stay out without holding it.
3. Cut the battery wires, connect positive to one side of the button according to the pinout of the button
4. Connect the negative to the other side, and either glue / friction fit / whatever the button in place on the controller.

Now you should be able to turn the controller on and off at will.

For added modding, use an AND gate wired in series with say the home and Y button, requiring both to be pressed before an internal latch triggers, like some third party controllers do.

Reactions: Arrrchitects

Arrrchitects

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's an idea, if you are any good at soldering.
1. Cut a small hole somewhere inconspicuous and where your hand isn't going to rub during use, in order to fit a small push button.
2. It must be a latching button, eg able to stay in / stay out without holding it.
3. Cut the battery wires, connect positive to one side of the button according to the pinout of the button
4. Connect the negative to the other side, and either glue / friction fit / whatever the button in place on the controller.

Now you should be able to turn the controller on and off at will.

For added modding, use an AND gate wired in series with say the home and Y button, requiring both to be pressed before an internal latch triggers, like some third party controllers do.

I actually really like that idea. I'm not the best in the world at soldering but I'm far from the worst. I think I may give this a shot on a junk controller I have lying around to see if I can accomplish it.

Last edited by Arrrchitects,

SapphireExile

Sapphire
Trophies
Website
sapphirelabs.online
XP
Country
United States
I actually really like that idea. I'm not the best in the world at soldering but I'm far from the worst. I think I may give this a shot on a junk controller I have lying around to see if I can accomplish it.
Oh I should specify, when I said cut the wires, that was in reference to a 4 legged switch (Board + to battery + / board - to battery -)

If you only have a 2 legged switch, just cut the positive of the battery and solder it to one leg, then solder the board side to the other leg. Never short circuit a battery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end