Private headers aren't safe

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Krakatau, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    As private headers are mostly used by people using a Sky3DS, the owners are most likely people who updated their console past 9.2. This makes it a little weird cause Sky3DS keeps supporting new versions, but if we think a little then we might realize that Nintendo has the ability to change your system and maybe detect that the header originates from another game? What might Nintendo change in the near-future to detect private headers injected in games they don't originate from?

What if they don't block Sky3DS but detect it's functionalities? Sky3DS users tend to update their system quickly, and what if they secretly add the check to something like inside the browser or apps who require forced updating? Maybe Nintendo has some methods we don't know about...

2. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Pretty sure when you inject private headers you do so from a donor cart of the same game... not sure on the other stuff, just something I thought I'd throw out there. That said I've never used a sky3ds or private header so take what I said with a grain of salt :)

3. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Aug 2, 2014
    United States
    [fate6@Canterlot ~]$
    It can be any game as long as it's the same type of cart, afaik people tend to buy the cheapest game that will get them online.

dark_samus3 likes this.
  4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    This is a Sky3DS issue not a Gateway/CFW problem as Gateway rom patcher fixes the header and CIA's use the console ID as a header. Report your issues to the Sky Team Email: inquiry@sky3ds.com

Zidapi likes this.
  5. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.7-1-zen
    Well, the Sky3DS is a flashcart...

6. Smash Br0

Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 6, 2009
    United States
    By "type of cart", do you mean CARD1/CARD2, or chip manufacturer? I'm guessing the former, so a CARD2 game (like Animal Crossing: New Leaf) will need a private header from a CARD2 game card... What happens if you try using a CARD1 private header with a CARD2 game (.3ds/.3dz/.cia)?

I also read that you need to use a private header from a game card with online functionality if you want to take the target game online. Is that still true? If you put the header from a game with no online functionality into a game that can play online, what happens when you go online?

Thanks for any clarification.

7. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Chip manufacture is what you need to match up I believe

8. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Aug 2, 2014
    United States
    [fate6@Canterlot ~]$
    Sorry but I don't actually know any details as I don't have any 3DS flash carts, Just posting some info I read on another thread is all.

9. TheShadowRunner

TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Thread title is misleading AS FUCK.

10. Ekaitz

Ekaitz Pokémon Master

Jun 13, 2010
    France
    Lens
    FTY, Gateway Rom Patcher sometimes mess up with the rom information and the header is not accurate.

Anyways, on Sky3DS+, you just have to use the good gamesave key, you can use any game, it will works, you just have to change the manufacturer if it does not match the header. (example: The cart ID starts with AE for OKI Semiconductor. If your header comes from a cart that was manufactured by Macronix, just remove the AE and put C2)
    The second information is the rom size. It is not related to the gamesave key, we do not care about it. Next you've got the secret byte. We don't know what it is, it can have two values but eh, just keep it as it is, it will work perfectly.
    The last byte is related to CARD type, CARD1/CARD2. Same here, does not have anything to do with gamesave key.

There is no way Nintendo can detect it, really... Or at least, it is not more dangerous than using CIA.
    Remember, when you use CIA, you are using your console unique ID. What if, a day, instead of searching for private header that would not match, Nintendo starts searching for console unique ID that are online with games that they did not buy on eShop? :)
    Should I make a "CIA aren't safe" thread? Nah, mainly because it would be a simple theory... Same thing about private headers in fact.

This thread is pointless, really.

SS4, Lycanroc and TheShadowRunner like this.
  11. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    Be polite please.

12. nastye

nastye Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I've used the header of TLOZ: ALBW (no online functionality) for Pokemon Y and SSB just fine. SSB header for Pokemon Y however didn't work. So manufacturer appears to matter but in a weird way.

13. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    Just want.to say I have used my own headers like roller coaster tycoon 3d on every game I plan to use online.pretty sure ninte do could compare info they don't have together at once to determine that your using a different header but I thought once patched the file just comes up to the online servers as that cart