Princess On Ice [Eng]

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by plasturion, Dec 4, 2016.

1. plasturion
    OP

plasturion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2012
    Poland
    Tree
    Hi everyone!
    I made this translation because I couldn't play english version (ugly).
    This game is about figure skating and patch works with japanese version of game.

Translated:
    - story 100%
    - menu graphics 100%
    Some layout graphics in game I kept in japanese version - like Excellent, Bad, Success.
    It looks just way more pretty than english replacement.
    So if anyone wants to test/try out....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

xdelta patch - v0.93

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lw3hlt

Last edited by plasturion, Dec 14, 2016
  2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    hello, i tried to downlaod that file however it appears only polish IP's can download it (the wbesite the button didnt work and in jdownloader warned me about this)
    i suggest you to upload in other file hoster

anyway, 11MB i suppose you send the entire rom file right? that is concidered WAREZ (it's copyrighted content) and it's NOT allowed in gbatemp https://gbatemp.net/help/terms
    i may ask you to create a patch (i think you might learn how to do this here http://www.romhacking.net/faq/ see this website, it hosts game translations and other rom hacks)
    not is the patch only a few KB (maybe a MB or so) but it is "legal" to share...

also, could you write a little about the game? i have no idea what kind of game it is and would be interested to know about it

3. plasturion
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2012
    Poland
    Tree
    Ok, I changed file hoster, hope this one works.
    Sorry, It seems I forgot to trim source file when I created that patch, that's why was so big.

I found some error in mid-ending of Allysa. If anyone find some freeze in dialoge text please let me know who and when. I tried hard to catch all of them I hope this is the last one.

New patch released

I almost forgot about most important thing - start button...

[​IMG]

...what do you think? Is it ok? :)
    and about scoreboard captions... when is time for special move, every step add 150 points...
    so scoreboard is not precise in current form (that step increase "50" variable not "150") so maybe is better to stay with english Great, Good, Ok afterall?

OK, another new patch v.91 released with current tittle screen and changed scoreboard.

Last edited by plasturion, Dec 8, 2016
    InquisitionImplied likes this.
  4. JamesxGamer

JamesxGamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2015
    United States
    Thank you plasturion for all your hard work on game. The game work just fine for me. If you doing another project I love to help out :)

5. plasturion
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2012
    Poland
    Tree
    You're welcome. I'm glad.
    Right now I'm doing nothing, but maybe I'll ask for help next time, I don't have much english skill.

Look guys what we have in E/U version of game...

[​IMG]

It seems this is first time when we can 'see' that early desing caracters from Japanese version.
    It's funny, because Japanese version was realesed half year later, with packed european resources.
    So I bet Dreampalete was a team who upgraded this characters, or Arc System Games.
    The same characters are in Rockin' Pretty game as a successor.

Last edited by plasturion, Dec 9, 2016
  6. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    oh this look cute I have to try xD
    I would like to have a comparison here ... like original x translation x usa x eur ? it's nce to see how different it get XD
    (also you could updload to tcrf :v haha)

7. plasturion
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2012
    Poland
    Tree
    usa/europe version looks the same and ugly - diva girls, hard to compare.

Tcrf has this title already with simple comparision - https://tcrf.net/Princess_on_Ice

Now I see, I should do make some improvements with colors and palette in menu screen...
    but this is so small details... so is there anyone who wants that kind of update?

Ok, new patch released with minor changes... :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    So guys what next... Princess on Ice is done, now I have to try another project...
    hmm... so mayby this time something different :)

Kurukuru Princess - Tokimeki Figure - Mezase! Vancouver
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by plasturion, Dec 15, 2016
  8. InquisitionImplied

InquisitionImplied Two-cent DF

Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Arizona
    Nice! It's great to see a translation for this game, and so recently, too! Thanks for doing it!

9. plasturion
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2012
    Poland
    Tree
    You're welcome... for the recently one, I would like to leave this project to someone more expierienced.
    I made a demo patch, cause it's really neat game and I wanted to feel visual novel side.

I have translated script of Ayaka (introduction and few meetings).
    I edited graphic - main menu buttons, signature of Ayaka.
    I'm doing on the air... CT2, ctrl+f, google translator.
    Text in .rtz files is completly mixed... so i have to find sequence manually.
    Finally i found out how to recompress arm9.bin file...

There's a lot of text and graphic, and lot to do.
    It's really hard to translate all the stuff in this way.
    But that's not the point. Best of all is good fun of make it. ;)

KuruKuru Princess demo:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/xjukc6

---------
    I'm not sure I will support this project...

I borrowed new font from sibling game called - Ballet Star (left side). Does it looks better?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm not sure, I rather original on the right side, because I used to work with it in current demo.
    Left one seems to be more girly... and this game is for girls.
    What do you think?

Finnaly I made in C very universal flexi-funky script inserter(seeker-replacer) for Shift-JIS...
    It compare appareance of string in binaries and replace translated text from textfile.
    I can use comments, etc.
    here's some report from that:

You can use comments, there's lenght protection, changing text happens with some conditions...
    I've never seen script inserter before, it's great feel to do something from scratch.
    aaah, what a relief... finally I made usefull tool.
    :)

I think script translation process ot this game could looks like that:
    For every stage:

Dumping:
    PHASE 1:
    making screetshots for making a script text order.
    if selectable choice (taking all results once after another, getting back with savestate)
    PHASE 2:
    creating textfile based on screenshots and copying mixed text from .rtz files to txt.
    you can use comments in textfile - for example - who's talking
    suggested tools: Notepad++(Shift-JIS, unix end of line), capture2text OCR or if you know hiragana/katakana - romaji to hiragana converter.

Translating:
    PHASE 3:
    Translating textfiles with remember that you use not more than the same byte lenght (not longer than twice of Japanese text) If you forget it's ok.. just text will be cuted thanks to lenght protection
    tools: Notepad++

Inserting:
    PHASE 4:
    reinserting with this tool.

PHASE 5:
    testing...

If someone is intrested in this project as dumper, translator - Welcome Home. :)
    I forgot to mention that we have one person for translating.
    But if someone wants to help as dumper, I will appretiate.
    Let's just try out stage or more to check how much time it takes, and how it works.

Last edited by plasturion, Jan 23, 2017