Hacking Preparing a USB HDD in Linux?

DejitaruJin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my Wii modded as per these instructions. I used different files I downloaded elsewhere, so I have no idea what cIOS version I'm actually using. However, I can say that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition does work off of a burned DVD. So backups are indeed working. I just don't want to burn DVDs over and over again, plus I heard New Super Mario Bros. Wii needs to be loaded off a hard drive.

So, I intend to use a USB hard drive. The problem is, this step doesn't have a lot of guides, and I'm not sure there are any good guides for doing it on Linux.

I have Ubuntu 9.10 x64, several Wii .iso files to work with (some apparently scrubbed, some not), and NeoGamma r8 beta15. I'm willing to use any loader, as long as I don't have to mess with the system any further
wink.gif

I want to set up a WBFS on an 80GB laptop drive that will be completely dedicated to this task. I don't mind working with the command line; I am, after all, a professional
tongue.gif
But, I do need the latest versions of whatever programs are needed to do this, and my searches have turned up mixed information (none of it recent).

Alternately, I saw another topic that mentions using a FAT32 USB device instead. It seems like it would be easier, and accessible from any OS without any configuration, but I haven't found any further information on the subject.

And, if at all possible, I would like to remove any useless data, because some of these games are actually under 2GB.

Can anyone give me detailed information on how to proceed with this?

DejitaruJin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, I may have to use that.

Presently, I have found a CLI tool that will convert .iso files to .wbfs, and I have moved 6 games to a FAT32 drive. However, the Configurable USB Loader is having a problem with this. When I select the hard drive (where its configuration also is) it takes a long, long time to count 30 seconds, and then has an error.

Edit: I tried swapping the USB drive to the other port, and then it counts seconds normally before failing with the same error. I haven't a clue why it won't mount the drive when it's on the correct port; the drive and enclosure are known 100% good and accessible by any normal system as a generic mass storage device.

DejitaruJin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to attempt just formatting the disk to WBFS, but Wiithon just plain won't work. It complains that the user who launched it does not belong to group "disk". Neither adding said user to said group, nor running the program as root (even real root, not sudo) will allow the program to access any disks.

MarioMadness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i added my use to DISK and have had no issues at all

its weird the way you have issues, although some other people have also reported this issue using 64bit boxes..i myself and using a 64bit Karmic box and have no problems at all with Wiithon, however i like yourself have also moved to FAT32 so there i just batch converted all my .iso to .wbfs and now just simply drag and drop.

cIOS222 will only work in usb0 (bottom port), cIOS249 does not support FAT32 so make sure you have cIOS222rev4 installed and selected cIOS37/38 merge.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after you set up wiithon, did you logoff and back on? it adds you to the disk group but that wont take affect till login again.

phantasmik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DejitaruJin said:
I decided to attempt just formatting the disk to WBFS, but Wiithon just plain won't work. It complains that the user who launched it does not belong to group "disk". Neither adding said user to said group, nor running the program as root (even real root, not sudo) will allow the program to access any disks.

is the disk mounted?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs