Preloader Vs. Starfall

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by monkey04, Feb 22, 2009.

Feb 22, 2009

Preloader Vs. Starfall by monkey04 at 2:52 PM (1,401 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. monkey04
    OP

Newcomer monkey04 Advanced Member

Canada
    Is it ok if we have both of them installed at the same time or should i unistall starfall and keep preloader or can i just keep both. Which is better!

2. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Both can go together and both do somewhat different things. Its best to just have them both incase something happens.

3. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Most people prefer preloader. There are more features and unlike with Starfall, TP is not required for recovery. The only reason I would stay away from it is that I have experienced with all versions of preloader that It makes my Wii start up much slower and reboot from a channel to System Menu much slower. Also, during these slow loading times my Wii remotes turn off frequently, and it is a hassle to have keep hitting the A button and wait for it to startup every time I leave a channel. I seem to be the only person I know of to experience this lag, at least from the posts on GBATemp, and it is only a few seconds of lag anyway, so if you really like preloader's features I suggest using it, although there is really no reason not to have Starfall installed as well.

4. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    do they use different techniques to save your wii from bricks? and which one brings the highest anti brick safety?

5. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Right now both are the same at anti-brick safety, however Preloader makes it much easier to recover from a brick.

6. games2007

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States

I experience this lag with the Preloader too!
    It's not that bad though, but when I select a channel, it takes about 2-3 seconds to load it. It only happens once, then the channels load fine. My wiimote turns off on me randomly and starts being gay, but that's mostly during some homebrew apps such as the game save extractor/installer, so I have to press the Reset button on the Wii to continue with the process.

7. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    With preloader it's much easier to recover from a brick. You can just boot directly to HBC and run wad manager from there for example.
    Starfall requires you to have Twilight Princess and the twilight hack still on the system's nand

8. dmonkey21

United States
    Ya, it's only a few seconds, but it really annoyed me and since I can just use Starfall I uninstalled it lol. I also experienced some problems with the Wii restarting when I shut it off with the Wiimote, or it not being able to go into standby correctly and restarting instead, which was really annoying because I would always have to wait a while to make sure it was really off, or hold down the power button to completely shutoff the Wii. I heard they fixed it and the last version I used for more than like 10 minutes was .25, so I guess it's not really relevant anymore.

9. Stephanie

Member Stephanie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My understanding is that both are pretty much the same, but Preloader boots earlier if you choose it to do so; which is better incase of any bricking that may happen. Though Starfall is easer to choose what options you want for your Wii. Preloader is nice, but it seems to disable a few other things. There is slower Menu booting as previously said, there's also no way to keep the disc from spinning unless you enable 'Ignore Standby' option. Minor bugs to me.

{edit} spelling

~Steph

10. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    the need of twilight princess and the need of the savegame are no problems, i have the game and i have the savegame. as i have never heared of problems with starfall, i think i will choose it. thanks a lot for all your infos

11. dmonkey21

United States
    Glad we could help [​IMG] Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about it.