preloader, priiloader, or bootmii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by elimist, Mar 21, 2010.

Mar 21, 2010
  1. elimist
    OP

Member elimist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what is the diffrence between preloader, priiloader, and bootmii? Are they all anti brick? I have a wii that is soft modded with hbc, wankino and hermes cios, trusha, and a few bacup launchers. It is on system menu 4.1u and I currently have no brick protection (i think). What should i use?

2. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    priiloader is a newer version of preloader that is still being updated and allows for system hacks like region free channels, online and disc update blocking, etc...

bootmii is the brick protection

3. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    BootMii can be installed as an IOS or as Boot2. If you can install it as boot2 (usually possible only on older Wiis) then this is the preferred method - BootMii as boot2 is nearly perfect brick protection. Starting up in BootMii mode lets you skip directly to the Homebrew Channel, ignoring any problems or bricks you might have. It can also back up your NAND (System Menu, all IOSes and saves) and restore it if something goes horribly wrong.

Priiloader is an update to Preloader since the original project is no longer developed. Priiloader does the same thing as Preloader: installs with your system menu to offer decent brick protection as well as enabling many helpful hacks (region-free games, unlocking savefile copying, skipping Health screen, etc). Priiloader is not as bulletproof as BootMii since many things that can mess up your System Menu (uninstalling the System Menu IOS, for example) will affect it as well, but it's still very handy since it lets you reach the Homebrew Channel to fix minor system issues or banner bricks.

You can have BootMii boot2 and Priiloader installed at the same time without any problems.

If you can install BootMii boot2, DO SO. If you can, Priiloader is optional but you will probably like the features. If you can't install BootMii as boot2, you really should install Priiloader.

4. elimist
    OP

United States
    so installing priiloader/preloader gives me no brick protection? Oh and is there any reason I would want to get preloader instead of priiloader?

5. elimist
    OP

United States
    I cannot install bootmii as boot2. Now should I just install just {priiloader} or {priiloader and bootmii as ios} ? I like the priiloader features.

6. guitarloser85

Member guitarloser85 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Priiloader and Bootmii as IOS, definitely! Priiloader can unbrick you from any non-system menu/system menu IOS issue (bannerbricks mainly). But Bootmii allows you to make a NAND backup which could come in handy later on if they ever figure out a way to allow an IOS installed version of Bootmii to restore a NAND, but either way, you're better off having it than not.

Plus Priiloader's cool cuz you can autoboot into a homebrew app such as a USB loader and the hacks are vital (prevent disc updates for newer games)

7. lulwut

Member lulwut GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    it already can?

and the hacks are far from vital.

i dont think you know wtf you are saying

8. guitarloser85

United States
    ok... (insert comeback)

Ya, check the hackmii site, it's not recommended to restore NAND through an IOS. I know you CAN if you really wanted to by pushing all the buttons on a GC controller or something like that, but would probably get yourself into bigger trouble than before. You're better off fixing whatever issue you're having with DOPMii or WADManager.

And Priiloader hacks are vital to me and others who are prompted with disc updates from newer games due to an older system menu.

9. lulwut

Member lulwut GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    ios recover is just fine

its just not fail proof. IF it screws up you can be boned(depending on what failed). but thats a huge if cause none of my restores fucked up so far...

also, its your own fault for being a retard of still being on a old system menu cause there is just NO reason to still be on that old system menu [​IMG]

and the updates are perfectly fine...

10. guitarloser85

United States
    Ok dude, I'm not about to get into a flaming war on GBAtemp. I'm just trying to give back to the community by helping those who ask for it.
    Done.

11. cearp

Member cearp the ticket master

Tuvalu
    yeah, i had to restore my nand once, and i only could install bootmii as an ios, and when i restored my nand after priiloader messed up on me [​IMG], everything was fine [​IMG]

12. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Would like to see a 'poll' on who has performed a NAND restore via Bootmii as IOS, and lived to tell the tale.
    I have read it should be only used as a 'last resort', as it 'could' make a bigger mess than what you are trying to get out of.