Hacking Preloader 0.30 preview

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah In that case then I stand corrected. Excellent I may well find myself finally using the preloader tool after all.
smile.gif

orbulon83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you need IOS249 to install preloader?

Cos I accidently deleted that after updating to 4.0... if this would let me install things again, or downgrade or something, that would be pretty damn good.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1ronlung said:
An uninstall this time round would be nice
wink.gif

Definitely

Does anyone know a way to completely remove preloader 0.29 with no files left behind?
I searched and searched, but couldn't find anything on deleting that renamed System Menu dol

blitzxp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
piratesmack said:
1ronlung said:
wink.gif

Definitely

Does anyone know a way to completely remove preloader 0.29 with no files left behind?
I searched and searched, but couldn't find anything on deleting that renamed System Menu dol

i've always wondered the same thing..
if you install preloader it will rename the system menu, and preloader will become the main boot.dol
if you reinstall the system menu, it'll replace the main boot.dol, so there are now 2 copies of the system menu, the one renamed by preloader, and the new one .. is that right?

i guess if you reinstall preloader, it'll rename/replace the previously renamed system menu ..

does it work that way ??

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkzero51521 said:
lol, I feel dumb because I dont understand why you would want to remove the System Menu.

I think he was just showing that the new preloader can run without the System Menu.
So if the System Menu gets screwed up, preloader can boot into the homebrew channel and save your Wii

Ga1l0w

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Darkzero51521 said:
lol, I feel dumb because I dont understand why you would want to remove the System Menu.

Nobody wants to. But If you really messed up and your system menu was corrupt ect, you can now recover. The whole point of the vid is showing that preloader has evolved into ...bootmii. Almost. I assume this won't work on the new wiis?

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blitzxp said:
if you install preloader it will rename the system menu, and preloader will become the main boot.dol
if you reinstall the system menu, it'll replace the main boot.dol, so there are now 2 copies of the system menu, the one renamed by preloader, and the new one .. is that right?

i guess if you reinstall preloader, it'll rename/replace the previously renamed system menu ..

does it work that way ??

I think that's how it works.
But I don't understand why it doesn't just overwrite the main dol, there doesn't seem to be a way to restore the old dol anyway

Darkzero51521

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
piratesmack said:
Darkzero51521 said:

I think he was just showing that the new preloader can run without the System Menu.
So if the System Menu gets screwed up, preloader can boot into the homebrew channel and save your Wii

Ohhh, okay. Thanks :]

orbulon83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty cool he can use ATD on the system menu and have the system still function...
Using the install menu option of preloader - can you only install DOL files to the system or would someone be able to use preloader to install WADs / reinstate the trucha bug etc?

joda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ga1l0w said:
Darkzero51521 said:

Nobody wants to. But If you really messed up and your system menu was corrupt ect, you can now recover. The whole point of the vid is showing that preloader has evolved into ...bootmii. Almost. I assume this won't work on the new wiis?

Well, not really into BootMii, but the brick protection equivalent to that of BootMii. BootMii is more than just brick protection. I quote http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-wil...r/#comment-4419
HyperHacker // Mar 15, 2009 at 9:56 am

You know, Nintendo may not be able to improve their architecture, but we can improve ours. Using signing bugs and/or BootMii we can run our own IOS, and much of the Starlet is now documented on Wiibrew. We could write a homebrew IOS, that would automatically be loaded and used by libOGC.

Writing our own IOS means we could do it the way Nintendo should have, and thus be able implement nice things like new devices (Kwiirk just released a hacked IOS with USB2 support), in-game menus, etc that would work in all homebrew apps (as long as they used a recent enough version of libOGC), while not breaking compatibility with older/official apps.

If we passed it pointers to our display lists and/or frame buffers, and notified it when we were about to execute/swap them, it’d even be able to draw to the screen.

The only big downside I can see to this is you’d have to be able to install and run a custom IOS, which would require at least patching current IOSes to remove the signature check, and perhaps other patches on new consoles.

marcan // Mar 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm
@HyperHacker:

You just described what BootMii is about. Said “homebrew IOS” already exists, and even recently got a name: Mini (Mini Is Not IOS). It’s the Starlet code that will ship with BootMii.

jd506

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blitzxp said:
piratesmack said:
1ronlung said:
wink.gif

Definitely

does it work that way ??

The new boot.dol IS preloader.
Preloader renames your 00000001/00000002/0000004*.app,
it replaces a 0 with a 1.

There's no available software or current way to remove the renamed system menu created by Preloader.

This accomplishes the same thing as reinstalling your system-menu.wad.
It looks like it doesn't touch the renamed system menu.

Not a big development, does this really deserve its own thread? Crediar, this is what you've been working on?
What about removing the currently permanent change that Preloader incurs on your Wii?

BootMii will unlock the full potential of your Wii. Whereas Preloader is mediocre software with minimal brick protection that cannot be fully uninstalled.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crediar? i hope you add some brick protection against people with the new boot1, cause if this does mod the boot2, its going to brick alot of people with the new boot1

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jd506 said:
There's no available software or current way to remove the renamed system menu created by Preloader.

Is there any reason that the renamed file can't be removed?
Or is this just something nobody has written a program to do yet?

I still don't understand why preloader renames the file,
If there is nothing that can remove preloader and restore the original boot.dol, I'd much rather have preloader just overwrite boot.dol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game