precautions?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mcjones92, Nov 9, 2008.

Nov 9, 2008

precautions? by mcjones92 at 10:57 PM (1,231 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. mcjones92
    OP

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    Sorry about all the recent posts if anyone has noticed.

1) what precautions should I take before/during opening up my wii? I mean I have absolutely no experience in this stuff besides the instructions I have read and the videos I have watched.

2) Is it really as easy as it seems?

3) Is it easy to mess up your Wii in the process of opening and closing it?

2. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    Um...
    1.It's actually is pretty easy.
    2.yes if you lose a screw or something it's going to be hard to close it back up.

3. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    It's pretty easy... my advice would just be to take your time, keep all the screws organised so you put them back in the same place and if you want it to still look pretty afterwoods, be careful with the pads that need to be removed.

The only other thing to watch, is there are some nuts clipped in to plastic that the screws screw in to. If you are not careful, these can dislodge, which makes things tricky. On the whole though, it's pretty simple and robust.

4. mcjones92
    OP

United States
    I think I am mostly just afraid of the electrical parts and the ribbon, etc. Just maybe the fact that I might snap a wire and completely lose my Wii is a scary thought...

5. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Have you built a computer before? It's not much more delicate than that.

If you're really concerned, pay a professional to do it for you.

It's all pretty tough, the only thing you're likely to break, is the clip that holds the rib cable down on the DVD-ROM. Even if you do break it, it's not the end of the world (it can be taped in)

6. mcjones92
    OP

United States
    No, I have never really dealt with building electronics. I do usually pay them, but in this case, it is considered illegal, so I don't think it is in my best interest to do that.
    Anyway, I watched the ozmodchip videos, and they make it look like it is simple. But disassembling the Wii doesn't require removing any wires, does it? Just unscrewing and snapping my WiiClip in, and done?

EDIT: And I do not want to send it in to someone.

7. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Taping it is the worst solution. The brown ZIF-Connector applies lots of force onto the cable that tape will not be able to do.

The only way to fix this would be to either buy a new DVD motherboard or solder a new ZIF-connector onto the board.

8. Monster On Strin

Member Monster On Strin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Its not REAL easy but its not that hard either just don't tug pieces too hard when disassembling
    Ive no experience with wiis but its disassembly is similiar to other consoles
    *Memories I had a bitch of a time with the ds ribbon cables in the flip screen
    Gamecube was easy though*

9. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    Dont let wires and cables scare you - when you plug something in your using cables and connections - its just the same as that really except some components are a tad more delicate.

Your really dealing with plastic and screws more than anything else - 2 things may have to be unplugged internally - its easier to do it that way , but they are simple to put back together - give it a go , you'll be proud of yourself - and ffs start a thread with your own name so we can keep all your threads in one.

10. mcjones92
    OP

United States

Sorry about that.

11. djtaz

Ireland
    Lol your ok - i just see a new thread for every little thing your asking - and they are all on the same thing [​IMG]

Just open the wii and shove a chip in [​IMG]

12. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    With a WiiClip it really isn't that hard. Have a small cup or something handy for screws, and be gentle. Get rid of static by clutching a metal doorknob first. Follow a good video on youtube and you should be fine.

The only annoying part with the screws (for me, anyways) was the ones holding the drive down. I had to carefully get those out with tweezers after unscrewing them. And then carefully put them back in. Other then that, getting the shell on was a little annoying to get it aligned. But no problem.

The only part you can really mess up your wii on is removing the drive. Just be gentle, and pull it out slowly. Pop open the cable, and gently unplug the power cord.

One other thing that comes to mind is you might want some electrical tape handy. Gently tape around the edges of the chip with small strips to prevent a contact short. (I found personally this works better then th cardboard they give you with the clip)

13. mcjones92
    OP

United States
    Alright, I plan to do it as soon as I get the chip. How time consuming is this so I can figure out how long to give myself?

14. mysticwaterfall

United States
    It took me a while, maybe 2-3 hours. But I double checked things with the video/pics a lot and had the 2 annoying parts I mentioned above. The more confident people here probably did it a lot faster, but I would say at least 30-45 mins.

15. djtaz

Ireland
    I would think at this stage id manage a wii clip in 15 mins myself - but for you first time and if your scared mysticwaterfall is right - give yourself 2 hours so you can check and double check - even make a note of where each screw came out of and in which order for neatness and tracability

16. mcjones92
    OP

United States
    And mysticwaterfall, was it worth the time?

17. mysticwaterfall

United States
    Way beyond worth it, went from 8 to 30 games in that time [​IMG]

Edit - As for bricking your wii, use games from the same region and you have no issues. If you use games from other regions, you have to use brickblocker on them first.