ROM Hack PPRE help

.Darky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
'Sup, guys. I wanted to change the Gym Leader 's name from Blue to Green but I encountered some problems using PPRE.

I first edited the dialogue with thenewpoketext. Tried it out and everything was OK: Everytime there was a dialogue concerning Blue his name was now Green.

Then I wanted to change Blue's name to Green using PPRE (you know, using the trainer editor), I changed his name and did some modifications to the Rival's and Red's Pokemon. After that I booted the ROM and to my surprise some names were now glitched. Giovanni's name and all double battles (Twins, Couple, etc) are now like this: "?????????????????????? ??????????????????" or "???????????????????99????????????".

Any one knows what could possibly be wrong? :|

OddShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a problem I had trying to change trainers.
Actually, when you modify trainers, PPRE also changes a file it mustn't (file "7" in a/0/2 I think).
So try to set back this file and the rom will runs just fine
wink.gif

.Darky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
The thing is that the dialogue is inside that file. Maybe I should try editing the trainer first and then the dialogue.

OddShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
France
.Darky said:
So...does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?
Have you tried to change the dialogue, do a backup of the file (a \ 0 \ 2 \ 7) and then put it back after changing trainers with PPRE ?

.Darky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
OddShadow said:
.Darky said:
So...does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?
Have you tried to change the dialogue, do a backup of the file (a \ 0 \ 2 \ 7) and then put it back after changing trainers with PPRE ?
I'll give it a try, thanks.

.Darky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
-I just tested one ROM, which had ONLY edited trainers, and the in-battle names of the trainers I mentioned before (Giovanni and Couples, Twins, etc.) are bugged.

-Then I tested another ROM, which had the edited script only, and I didn't encounter any problems.

You were right. When you try to edit trainers, PPRE overwrites data on the script file.

After that, I tried to do what you told me before:

-I made a backup of the "7" file that contains the text. Then I copied it to the root temp folder of a ROM which had already the edited trainers. Since you can't actually write a ROM with PPRE after the tool has created the temp folder and closed the application I used thenewpoketext with the commands "mkrom *insert new .nds file name here*.

After the new ROM was made I booted it on my flashcart. First, I went to battle Red. The edits I made were there, yay! Then I had a double battle and battled Giovanni...the names were not glitched, fuck yeah! BUT, when I challenged Green to a fight (his name was Green in the script) his in-battle name was still Blue.

I obviously raged.

EDIT: Do you know where is the file that contains trainer data? I want to try the opposite of what I was doing:

First, edit trainers. Then make a backup of the edited trainer file which should be in the temp ROM folder. After that I should copy that file to the temp folder of a ROM with edited script and see if it works.

Also, bump for great justice.

OddShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
France
.Darky said:
EDIT: Do you know where is the file that contains trainer data? I want to try the opposite of what I was doing:

First, edit trainers. Then make a backup of the edited trainer file which should be in the temp ROM folder. After that I should copy that file to the temp folder of a ROM with edited script and see if it works.
Trainers data are in "a \ 0 \ 5 \ 5" and trainers pokemon are in "a \ 0 \ 5 \ 6"
wink.gif

.Darky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
No, it doesn't work. His name is still Blue even after this. The edits I made to the trainer's pokemon are still there though.

It seems that PPRE needs to overwrite something on the script file if you want to change a trainer's name.

OddShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
France
.Darky said:
No, it doesn't work. His name is still Blue even after this. The edits I made to the trainer's pokemon are still there though.

It seems that PPRE needs to overwrite something on the script file if you want to change a trainer's name.

Try hex-editing this file. Compare it before and after using PPRE and see what it changes
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone