TheVAAAN

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi

I have uncovered a busted power supply in a CECHH02 with 23.5A output. I have a CECHK02 console with a 21.5A output, I would just like to know what would happen if I put the 21.5A psu into the 23.5A system. I meant to give the system to my dad as a gift, but it didn't work so I was wondering what issues and what the outcome would be if I put the 21.5A PSU in replacement to the 23.5A PSU until I can afford a replacement part.

Thanks in advance

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi

I have uncovered a busted power supply in a CECHH02 with 23.5A output. I have a CECHK02 console with a 21.5A output, I would just like to know what would happen if I put the 21.5A psu into the 23.5A system. I meant to give the system to my dad as a gift, but it didn't work so I was wondering what issues and what the outcome would be if I put the 21.5A PSU in replacement to the 23.5A PSU until I can afford a replacement part.

Thanks in advance
If it has the same connector it may work but at peak loads the 21.5A PSU will not keep up and will be overtaxed. This can lead to early PSU failure and/or YLOD during demanding games since the power draw will be too much.

TheVAAAN

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If it has the same connector it may work but at peak loads the 21.5A PSU will not keep up and will be overtaxed. This can lead to early PSU failure and/or YLOD during demanding games since the power draw will be too much.
So I would be able to use the PSU in the 23.5A system, but may shut down / crash due to less power usage?

Sorry for pretty much repeating what you said, just wanted to make sure I fully understand.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I would be able to use the PSU in the 23.5A system, but may shut down / crash due to less power usage?

Sorry for pretty much repeating what you said, just wanted to make sure I fully understand.

If it fits into place and uses the same connector then yes. I have no idea if the connector is different on the PSUs since I don’t work on PS3s often.

TheVAAAN

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If it fits into place and uses the same connector then yes. I have no idea if the connector is different on the PSUs since I don’t work on PS3s often.
I took both systems apart and the 21.5A power supply and they both showed the standby light, so I figured I'd post here to confirm that I'd be okay.

Thanks for the help.

DemiseScythe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone with a similar PS3 PSU compatibility issue, please see chart at:

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply
All 21.5A PSUs are listed as compatible with the H systems

These PSU generally rated for way more power than the PS3 really needs/uses. The original ones (A, B, C, E) are rated for 384W but only use 170-200W, G and newer only use 120-140W, Slims only use 65-84W and Super Slims 64-76W. The newer units got more efficient and the PSU themselves got more efficient which meant less waste heat/wattage.

Finalmans has a blog detailing all of this information, that is why it is sort of okay to hook up the original fat PS3s with 3-4 pairs of AWG18 wires to an EPS CPU connector on a standard ATX PSU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro