Hacking Question Potentially bricked Nintendo Switch?

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Bought my Switch long time ago, played it for a few months and it's been in a draw for around a year +. I only found out it was an RCM exploitable unit. But when I powered it on, the Nintendo logo shows but it is a black screen. (Like grey, dark it's on but nothing shows though). Looking online it says it's bricked? I followed a guide to put hekate and it actually runs, hekate that is. But I don't know why when i try boot the ofw, it's black. It can let me create a backup of the raw gpp and boot 1 and 0. If I back these up and restore them does that fix the problem or is this switch non fixable? New to CFW as I bought this just after release and haven't played it for a long time. Let me know if I need to do anything. I tried the recovery from nintendo (holding down volumes, etc) but that doesn't do anything. Just a black screen. Or is buying a new switch needed, thanks?

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also to add, i wanted to play animal crossing. i bought it from the store now as it's much cheaper. but I never checked if my switch was working first. I would like to get it working, rather than having to fork out more to just play the game. It didn't get dropped or anything, it's been in that draw for nearly two years. The most if anything that was on it was just like paper, or a book, etc. But the screen is working perfectly on hekate, but no ofw. so lost here on what to do. Not sure if this is an easy fix or not.

GCS

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
As far as I understood the issue started before you hacked your Switch. If it is like that and you haven't created emuNAND yet, the problem might be solved by factory resetting it:
- Close the Switch.
- Hold + and - buttons and power it on. You will get to a screen (hopefully) and from there try resetting your Switch. This willl erase all your saves.

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I understood the issue started before you hacked your Switch. If it is like that and you haven't created emuNAND yet, the problem might be solved by factory resetting it:
- Close the Switch.
- Hold + and - buttons and power it on. You will get to a screen (hopefully) and from there try resetting your Switch. This willl erase all your saves.
yeah tried that many times from the youtube videos, but nothing happens. Just a gray screen turned on still. Only the logo shows, then it goes gray

GCS

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
yeah tried that many times from the youtube videos, but nothing happens. Just a gray screen turned on still. Only the logo shows, then it goes gray
That's interesting. Restoring a NAND backup you just got wouldn't do something too most probably.

Reactions: switchpool

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting. Restoring a NAND backup you just got wouldn't do something too most probably.
i'm guessing maybe the nand got coruppted or something. Maybe I left it on and it drained completely, but can't remember. So, only thing I can do is just launch hekate for now. But yeah i assumed restoring a nand back up of this current nand wouldn't do anything. So not sure what path to take now.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If the NAND backup was after it show black screen then it is not much of a use like GCS said, you can try to rebuild your NAND if you got your prod.keys, your biskey is inside that list of keys you can use that to rebuild your NAND with this method.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Reactions: switchpool and GCS

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hayato213
ok i'm following it. yeah i'll try. looks complicated but i've downloaded everything so far, i injected biskeydump and a smiley face shows, dumped the keys and now following the rest. hopefully it works. Because all the cfw payload stuff seems to run, just not ofw will keep updated thanks

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hayato213
ok i'm following it. yeah i'll try. looks complicated but i've downloaded everything so far, i injected biskeydump and a smiley face shows, dumped the keys and now following the rest. hopefully it works. Because all the cfw payload stuff seems to run, just not ofw will keep updated thanks

You mean it doesn't boot OFW but it boot into CFW ?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean cfw like the bootrom stuff like hekate, biskeydump. only like stuff to extract information boots, like lockpick rcm. Not sure if that makes sense. but booting ofw doesn't work.

That doesn't touch Horizon OS, as Hekate is just a bootloader, and Lockpick_RCM is also before the system boot into Horizon OS, so look like you need to rebuild your NAND I guess.

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't touch Horizon OS, as Hekate is just a bootloader, and Lockpick_RCM is also before the system boot into Horizon OS, so look like you need to rebuild your NAND I guess.
hi, got this far on step 7. but I don't quite understand this step:

ChoiDujour.exe --keyset=path/to/keys.txt path/to/firmware/file/or/folder

I put my prod.keys in the main folder and used this command. My firmware file is in the main choidujour folder. I am probably doing something wrong here. I used this:

ChoiDujour110>ChoiDujour.exe --keyset=path/to/prod.keys path/firmware

But the console gives me: hactool keys file path/to/prod.keys doesn't exist!

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I put my prod.keys in the main folder and used this command. My firmware file is in the main choidujour folder. I am probably doing something wrong here. I used this:

Sorry I have no experience with Choidujour, I never done any.

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States

keyset=path/to/prod.keys

If it's in the same folder try keyset=prod.keys firmware-dir-name

Or maybe keyset=c:\prod.keys c:\firmware-dir-name

Try using a dir with no spaces. If that doesn't work try putting keyset="c:\prod.keys" "c:\firmware-dir-name"

With the correct path applied or files dumped in c:\ with the cmd window running with admin privileges

Never done this before but syntax can be pretty standard.

Last edited by iriez,

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keyset=path/to/prod.keys

Try using a dir with no spaces. If that doesn't work try putting keyset="c:\prod.keys" "c:\firmware-dir-name"

With the correct path applied or files dumped in c:\ with the cmd window running with admin privileges

ok got further, had to remove unwanted keys from the file. man this is long. Not giving up. But will update this with my method if it works. hopefully on how i had to change things etc.

switchpool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You mean it doesn't boot OFW but it boot into CFW ?

keyset=path/to/prod.keys

Hey, managed to get it working doing the nand recovery the manual way. but it was long and had to re read all the instructions and all. But got it working. Will update this thread later with what i had to do to get it working later. Took like 4 hours in all. mostly due to being careful

GCS

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hey, managed to get it working doing the nand recovery the manual way. but it was long and had to re read all the instructions and all. But got it working. Will update this thread later with what i had to do to get it working later. Took like 4 hours in all. mostly due to being careful
Glad that it worked! Don't forget to create an emuMMC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment