Possibly n00bish hardmod question

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by NemoJPN, Feb 1, 2016.

1. NemoJPN
    OP

NemoJPN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2016
    I was considering hardmodding my old 3ds, and I was wondering about the SD Card Adapter.

Could I just replace that with a female USB-b or c and build it into the case?

2. Entonghibang

Entonghibang Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2015
    its a good idea, I think it will work.

you should use a long cable on it

3. daniel26150

daniel26150 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Mexico
    Yes you can, look for photos in Google many people had done that and it works

4. Cap'n Josh

Cap'n Josh Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    I hope everyone here is joking. You can put a USB female port on the case of your 3DS, but you won't be able to just use a USB cable. The NAND can only be read/written as if it was an SD card. If you put a female USB port on your 3DS, you'll still need an SD card reader, plus a cable with a USB male end on one side and an SD card on the other. Also, the voltage for USB ports is around 5V, while SD cards take around 2.5-3.5V. If you just wire your NAND to a USB female end and use a standard USB to USB cable, you'll not only not be able to read/write your NAND, you'll likely burn out your board as well.

5. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Some people prefer the aesthetic look of a clean female port and your right you run this risk of shorting the board.

6. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    You could use usb only if you added a sd to usb converter into the hardmod. Otherwise, your nand chip would be destroyed.

7. Cap'n Josh

Cap'n Josh Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Oh, there's nothing necessarily wrong with using a female USB port instead of a JST port. But it looked like the OP was asking if he could use a USB port and cable instead of an SD reader/adapter. He'll still need the SD reader, putting a USB port only changes how the SD card adapter attaches to the 3DS.
    I suck at explaining, here:
    In this picture, the guy used a USB port instead of a JST port. HE still has to use a USB to SD card adapter, and will plug that SD card into a SD card reader. If he just plugged a standard USB cable from his computer to the 3DS, it would not read, and could irreversibly damage the console.

Conn0r likes this.
  8. NemoJPN
    OP

NemoJPN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2016
    Cheers for you reply guys. Can'n Josh, thanks for the advice. I did mean without the SD card adapter. And I had forgotten that USB might be a different voltage than the SD reader. I'll keep to the SD card adapter for my first attempt then.

9. NemoJPN
    OP

NemoJPN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2016
    Cheers for you reply guys. Can'n Josh, thanks for the advice. I did mean without the SD card adapter. And I had forgotten that USB might be a different voltage than the SD reader. I'll keep to the SD card adapter for my first attempt then.

10. NemoJPN
    OP

NemoJPN Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2016