Possible ways to backup save data and Extra Data, before downgrading and installing CFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Derpncheez, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Derpncheez
    OP

Derpncheez Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    United States
    I hope this isn't breaking any rules because I'm very much in need of some help.

I'm trying to backup my Save Data and Extra Data, and was wondering if it's possible to do before downgrading and everything else? I know of several save editors ( Like svdt, SaveDataFiler, ExtDataDump, and JK's Save Manager), but is it possible to use these on firmware 10.7 and still be able to import saves back onto the system/sd card after downgrading and installing CFW? The way I have HBL is with OOTHax, btw.

Thank you for any and all help!

2. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Yeah. You can only use .3dsx save managers like svdt, but that works just fine. And it's not like your saves will get any less compatible after you downgrade. And when you downgrade, I'm pretty sure you don't lose anything (may be wrong it's been quite a while).

codeluca and naivegirl2411 like this.
  3. Derpncheez
    OP

Derpncheez Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    United States
    Sweet, but what about Extra Data? Can't some games be screwed without it, or can svdt pull that stuff, too? Again, I'm sorry for the noobish questions. I just want to make sure I back everything up before risking my saves

4. Just Passing By

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I'm not sure about that. I don't think svdt pokes around with extra data, but don't worry about it. Are these Eshop games?

5. Derpncheez
    OP

Derpncheez Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    United States
    Some of them are, and some are physical cartridges. I'm just only really worried about my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire save because that's on a cart and uses Extra Data.

6. Just Passing By

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    A cartridge saves it's saves to the cartridge. Not the sd card. And I've backed up Pokemon Y and OR without extra data and nothing's changed at all.

7. Derpncheez
    OP

Derpncheez Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    United States
    Were there ever any problems restoring the data? Also, maybe I should just store my pokemon in bank just in case? I'm just nervous about losing a very special pokemon a friend got me.

8. Just Passing By

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    There were never any problems. And Poke Bank isn't stored locally. It's stored on a server in Nintendo land.

Edit: just understood what you said. Oops.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think you're worrying too much about saves. If you're paranoid about a Pokemon cartridge, here's what I want you to do: put in your Pokemon cartridge, take out the sd card, turn on system, play Pokemon game. Is there a save file still there? Can you still play everything? Yes? Then everything is saved to the cartridge.

Last edited by Just Passing By, Apr 12, 2016
  9. naivegirl2411

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    I was also nervous about losing save data but after downgrading and installing arm9lh I lost absolutely no data. My animal crossing new leaf digital save, mii plaza + friendlist data as well as themes, badges were all NOT deleted. It was magical

EDIT: I should add that my aim was to install arm9lh and I had to format sysnand and emunand as the guide stated. But even after restoring my 9.2 sysnand.bin everything was fine. If your aim is just to get emunand then I think the same applies as your emunand seems to be a cc of what you were working on. Just be sure to make a sysnand backup IMMEDIATELY after downgrading and research to know what you are doing

Last edited by naivegirl2411, Apr 12, 2016
  10. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    There is an exception to the rule: Fantasy Life. That game actually uses ExtData for its save file in both its cartridge and eshop formats.

EDIT: The ExtData for Pokemon is where the StreetPass-related data is located, I believe. Thus transferring this data would be useful for moving the save from one 3ds unit to another without losing StreetPass data or having to do a system transfer.

Last edited by zhdarkstar, Apr 12, 2016
    Just Passing By likes this.
  11. 3DS5HAX

3DS5HAX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    United States
    Since your are downgrading I would go on homebrew and use save data manager

12. Derpncheez
    OP

Derpncheez Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I finally see how arm9lh works now, so that I won't lose any data. I just have to backup my 3DS sd card files and restore it after doing the same with the 9.2 sysnand bin, right? I've been skimming over so many different guides and different homebrew, that it's got my head spinning.

I do greatly appreciate the help, though!

naivegirl2411 likes this.
  13. BlazeEruption

BlazeEruption Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Backup your Pokemon saves and put your Pokemon in Pokebank. When I downgraded and got emunand my Omega Ruby cart save got corrupted when I played the game in emunand.

14. codeluca

codeluca GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2016
    Italy
    Naples, Italy
    Just to add proof:
    I properly restored my ExtData and SaveData of MH4U from a o3ds with menuhax/gwcf to a n3ds a9lh/AuReiNand with JK's Save Manager (I did also with other games, but they did not have extData).

Last edited by codeluca, Apr 13, 2016