Possible solution for all these DS vs. PSP threads

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by dice, Oct 14, 2008.

Oct 14, 2008
  1. dice
    OP

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    I'm considering doing an "official" thread that's pinned and linked to from both the ds and psp areas.

In it will be the usual poll as a general guide for which handheld to purchase, as well as an faq of sorts that I will update whenever I get the chance (one where a number of different answers to the most common questions asked by members are listed -in spoiler tags-).

Of course this would mean having just one thread for newbies to ask their questions/conduct research. This solves the issue of all the dupe threads, and allows users to gain quick answers to questions that they may have (be it through the faq, links to previous threads that could be supplied or someone's responses). Something could even be added to the topic description such as "DO NOT CREATE A NEW THREAD" or something to deter members from doing so (we have the ability to prevent members from being able to post for a period time should that be a necessary means of enforcing this).

What do you think?

2. Jbob3

Newcomer Jbob3 Newbie

United States
    Great idea cause they are overlapping in each other so one big forum for newbies (like me) would help have a lot less clutter!

3. dewback

Member dewback GBAtemp Regular

United States
    People will not read it and ask anyways.
    Same issue with what slot 1 card to buy

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    To be honest, I doubt whether or not it matters if there's a sticky or not. Somebody is going to end up making a new thread either way. Whether as their first post, or as a troll. Or because they don't want to look and want to try and get instant answers.

I guess it could be a pretty good idea if all the flaming and fanboyism was deleted out of it, but it would probably end up being filled with comments by idorts anyway.

5. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I think it can't hurt....
    You should really do it dice [​IMG] if it helps even few people, and stop them from making a new thread, it'll be worth it..

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Sounds good to me since asking which is better is really a subjective thing anyway.

7. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    if you do make such a poll besides the obvious questions such as what console do you have,
    i think you should also include questions like which country do you live in and age range.

8. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    it will look nice but noobs will be noobs...
    they wont read it anyway
    it will be like the "R4 is dead" sticky

9. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    I'm 100% with you, while making one won't hurt, it won't work like what it should be

It's not like I'm being ignorant, but that's what happened, nobody paid any attention to stickies, and to be honest, sometimes I don't too.

10. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    there's not as much as these threads when compared to the "iz te R4 te bezt fl4shcrt???"

11. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What!? You all didn't know that the DSP and the PSWii60 are teh best!?

12. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    I think it sounds like a good idea, but the only way it would work is if mods lock threads that ask that question and provide a link to the main topic.

The topic itself seems like it would have some great info in it, but only time will tell if people actually use or appreciate the info.

13. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Usually, if you have to ask which one is better, you're the kind of person that doesn't read stickies.

Either way, if you decide to go through with this, let me know! I've had a DS and a PSP for quite a while and I can PM you my opinion on both and little reviews or whatnot.

14. dice
    OP

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    I think for now I'll leave things as they are. Law makes a good point, not to mention the time that would probably be involved in managing such threads (e.g. the suggested questions mentions by nin10do that should be included).

@ War - Thank you for that offer, I may take you up on it should I decided to do this (that doesn't mean that anyone else isn't allowed to do it if I decide not to [​IMG])