Possible script injection for gbc games to emulate link cable??

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Diego788, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Diego788
    OP

Diego788 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2014
    Chile
    Santiago, Chile
    so, Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow will be released tomorrow on the eshop, this games can connect the link cable feature with local wireless, like the title say, can we extract the script that connect the link cable and inject it on other games like Tetris, zelda oracle of seasons/time?

that would be awesome..

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes, it will be possible to swap the roms, like on the regular VC emulators.

Whether multiplayer will actually work, I don't know... there's probably some integration with the game, like pressing select on Pokemon Snap for Wii to take screenshots!

3. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    What is this link cable thing?

4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The Pokemon gen 1 VC releases will feature a new emulator. When you try to go to the multiplayer room (merely speaking to the attendant checks for a connected console, in the original games), the emulator pauses and asks to be the host or look for someone nearby who is!

Games&Stuff likes this.
  5. Townsperson

Townsperson GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2015
    United States
    The physical cable you used to connect two GBC's (Later GBA's) together in order to link games (Trading/Battling someone in Pokemon, for example). The new VC releases of Pokemon are going to support trading, etc., so they will in some way emulate the cable. Hopefully, we can use those VC games to get that working for other titles.

Games&Stuff likes this.
  6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    How old are you? Well simply, it was a cord that connected GBs, GBC, and GBAs together for multiplayer on Nintendo's handhelds before wireless multiplayer was a tangible thing.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I would think at the very least, Pokemon, Gold, Silver, and Crystal would be able to modified with the script or whatever given how similar the games were to RBYG

7. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    I had a GBC as my first console, and the cable must have gone lost. I played with the GBC when I was little, so I didn't do anything with multiplayer or cables.

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    you had to buy the cable separately... it was NOT included with the gameboy..
    it would connect to the port on the left side (close to volume wheel)
    on some games you could connect 2 gameboys to play with a friend
    keep in mind both gameboys needed a compatible game inserted (for example 2 pokemon cartridges)

in gameboy advance you could connect up to 4 gba, and there was a wireless adapter (only compatible with a small amount of games)
    and some games had something close to "download play" (2-4 gbas, with 1 cartridge)

Last edited by migles, Feb 25, 2016
    Games&Stuff likes this.
  9. Townsperson

Townsperson GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2015
    United States
    The wireless adapter for GBA, if I remember correctly, was bundled with Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Fun fact, I guess.

TheNerdWIzard likes this.