Possible dead DS mode for this 3DS or something else?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by StriderVM, Sep 28, 2015.

1. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Well, to summarize, I got this European 3DS in firmware 3.0.0.5E, and curious thing is that trying to load the R4 SDHC (www.r4isdhc.hk) DS Flashcart just causes the 3DS to flash white for a split second (I see the white screen has the DS border/size) then "Program Closed / Sleep Mode" screen.

I have tried this flashcart with multiple 3DS unit and even some NDS Lite units and that flashcart works in all of them except this one. Any possible leads on why does this issue happen on this specific unit only?

Last edited by StriderVM, Sep 28, 2015
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Maybe it requires at least firmware 4.1. What firmware were the other 3DS on that it worked in? You may as well update the console to 4.x (find a game that contains the right firmware, someone will point you to a list) as you will need it at 4.x to use any CFW (don't go beyond 4.5 as you don't have a browser, so won't be able to do anything post-4.5).

Margen67 and Zidapi like this.
  3. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Well, I've just bought a Sky3DS for rectify that but it will take a least a month for that to arrive sadly.

4. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You could find a game shop that has a good return policy, buy a game, update your console and then return it the next day.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Update :

I have tried a Galaxy Eagle i, and it also doesn't work! Just a white flash then "Program Closed / Sleep Mode" screen.

I even tested a legit NDS game as well. (Spyro Shadow Legacy) Same behaviour

So anybody else gotten any similar problem?

Also I'm from the Philippines, and finding original euro games is just about impossible. The ones being sold in stores are typically US region 3DS games.

Last edited by StriderVM, Sep 29, 2015
  6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    try formatting the system

7. Sinon

Sinon The Wolf Girl

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    Try updating your flashcards kernel and flashcard firm

Margen67 likes this.
  8. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    First thing I did when I got this 3DS. Same issue. :(

Both flashcarts have the latest available firmware. Also the legit Spyro NDS game doesn't work on this system as well. Although the game is US Region. As far as I can remember NDS isn't region locked.

Margen67 likes this.
  9. ironmaster49

ironmaster49 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2015
    I know that if dsbricker is run on a 3ds then dsmode is bricked, but if you format it its unbricked, maybe your flashcart bricked your ds mode when you used it and then just format your system and the legit game should work and maybe try to stop your flashcart from bricking your ds mode if you plan to use it

Margen67 likes this.
  10. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Try installing nvram with the gateway firmware. That should repair your ds mode profile if it can be fixed.

(o/c you need to update to 4.1 - 4.5 first which you should do anyway)

Last edited by zoogie, Sep 30, 2015
    Margen67 and Quantumcat like this.
  11. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Well, the real issue is not necessarily DS Mode Profile. The problem seems to be that any DS games just white screen and then crash on this 3DS.

Also, that NVRAM? Can you show a tutorial or something? I cannot use the Gateway launcher since the 3DS is in 3.0.0.5E firmware.

12. ironmaster49

Aug 9, 2015
    Id say just update the 3ds to 4.5 or anything below 9.2 with a game card

13. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    For NVRAM you'll have to get into the gateway menu which you can't. I though NVRAM was only for the new 3DS. Maybe Strider can elaborate.

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    nvram is actually where the DS profile exploit is stored (on both o3DS and n3DS), assuming the NVRAM chip could actually be faulty then i assume that system settings would have issues showing the ds profile info....tbh im thinking it may actually be a partially updated system, iirc downgrading TWL_FIRM to the version from 1.x/2.x resulted in DS carts doing the same thing as described here.....if thats the case updating to 4.x should fix it

PS the fact formatting didnt fix it suggests its not a issue of something like DSBricker, as that would be fixed after formatting the system as that just messed up the NVRAM which is wiped when performing a system format

Last edited by gamesquest1, Oct 1, 2015
    Quantumcat likes this.
  15. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Update. Looks like any app that uses the Camera will crash as well. Seems like the firmware in this 3DS is borked or something. I guess the only solution is to get a Euro 3DS game to upgrade this system.

16. videogame57

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    I think you mean anything 9.2 or below, not below 9.2.

17. ironmaster49

Aug 9, 2015
    Yes, i mean that of course. Yeah, just get any game made in 2014 or older that updates to 9.2 or below.

18. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    He should first check if he has a browser, then update to 4.5, not higher.
    cause if he has no browser, he's screwed if he updates to anything higher then 4.5.
    then once on 4.5 and if he's been able to run GW menu then he can use sysupdater to update to anything higher then 4.5 and 9.2 or below so he gets a fresh full install of all system files.

19. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    There's a browse, I assume it's version 5 because the firmware is 3.0.0.5 :P

So now I'm trying to get a Sky3DS.

20. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Seems like the TWL_FIRM is fucked up.
    When i screwed around with mine I got the same result when trying to load any DS game.

So perhaps there's that.