Possible Brick, Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by faustt, Jul 15, 2009.

Jul 15, 2009
  1. faustt
    OP

Newcomer faustt Newbie

United States
    Hey all. Noob here [​IMG] . My Wii decided a few months ago not to have sound anymore, I decided to try and "fix" this by deleting all the softmod stuff on my Wii since I had just been throwing stuff on there to fix problems for the past year. Not sure if it would help anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Well it did.

I backed up all my saves and formatted my Wii. I probably should have read more cause I found out that's an easy way to get stuck in preloader. I can't run HBC, I can't load the system menu, says ticket not found or something like that. I can run dol files using preloaders launcher. What exactly would I need to run to reinstall a system menu? Either 3.2U or 4.0U. Or am I just screwed at this point? I was googling the problem last night and couldn't find anything solid (I was half asleep though).

It seems like I would have to reinstall a system menu, I was on 3.2U, so I'd probably want to use that to be on the safe side. But if I reinstall it. it will disable preloader, so everything basically has to go off with out a hitch or I'm really screwed. Any suggestions?

2. nutta_nic

Member nutta_nic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    first things first run the hackmii installer and install HBC and bootmii to boot2 so things cant get any worse, then run any region changer and install your regions system menu or use cios installer

3. faustt
    OP

Newcomer faustt Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the quick response.

So far so good. I got the hackmii installer to work finally. Last night it was giving me an issue about not having vulnerable IOSs on the system. Figured that out today by installing IOS 36. So I have HBC, DVDX and bootmii installed on boot2. Now I just need to hunt down any region changer and find a system menu.

Thanks for the help. Will see how this goes.

4. faustt
    OP

Newcomer faustt Newbie

United States
    Another hiccup. Tried running Any Region Changer and I get this "Error getting settings! -24578, 1 1, 0, -24578"

I found a thread about this on here.

so I'm looking around for a 3.2U wad now. I found a 4.0u one pretty easily. Any danger in just upgrading this way? I was planing on doing it anyway after this mess is sorted out.

5. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    i would keep searching for a 3.2 if i were u but i see no harm in using 4.0 if you have the homebrew channel installed [​IMG]

6. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't think you can upgrade by simply installing a system menu of the newer firmware. 4.0 Needs IOS60 to run off of and 3.2 uses IOS30 to run off of. I take it that since you needed to install IOS36 for the hackmii installer that you had CIOSCORP installed previously, which probably made formatting even worse.

Since you now do have bootmii installed to boot2 I would suggest making a NAND backup of your Wii as it is now even though it's not working. At least that way you won't be able to fuck it up beyond what it is at the moment.

After that you could try just following the online guide here:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835
    from step 5 to backup your nand, 6 to make sure you have some cIOS installed, 7 and 8 to try to fix the IOS's on your system and hopefully have you on a working 3.2 again after this, and 9 to update to 4.0 and make sure that CIOSCORP is gone and you have all other IOS's you should need. Then 10 to patch IOS60 if you want to load wads from the sd card menu. Then if you still want preloader you would most likely have to reinstall it again as it says.

If you get everything working again after that make another nand backup at that point and get rid of that old one as you won't be needing a broken restore point anymore.

7. faustt
    OP

Newcomer faustt Newbie

United States
    Update:

Found a 3.2 U system menu, installed it as a wad and bam, System menu again. Yay. Did a nad backup at this point and I think I'm sitting good. I need to reinstall preloader to disable the disc updates.

Thanks for the help guys.