Portal Crash!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Balrogs.Pain, Oct 9, 2008.

Oct 9, 2008

Portal Crash!!! by Balrogs.Pain at 7:04 PM (3,720 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Balrogs.Pain
    OP

Member Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, i installed portal on my P.C, and i know my computer can run it because Canyourunit.com says i could (Then again i dont know if its true or not)
    So, i go to play it, i set everything on low since well my computer isnt THAT great. and i load the first level, and everythings all cool until it starts counting down to the very first portal. 5. . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . And then an orange portal is made, now. heres when it crashes, i cant look at the portal AT ALL. if i look at the portal, my computer freezes, so i try entering backwards! SUCCESS! until i see the blue portal, then it crashes, so i look at an angle so i would be able to see any portals. SUCCESS! Until i pass through the orange portal and see a wall and it just crashes!
    So i need someones help to try and fix it. Does anyone know how to make it so i can atleast go through and see the first level?

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    What are your system specs?

Also, maybe take the graphic options down to minimum? Maybe put portal depth (I think that's an option, something like that anyway) to 1?

Or try updating your video card drivers.

3. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    It could be down to portal depth, like Law said. Or perhaps your graphics card just can't cope. What's your graphics card?
    If you don't know how to, go to My Computer, click System on the right hand side (which should open a new window). Click the Hardware tab. Then click Device manager, and find the name under Display Adapters.
    Hopefully that was clear.

4. Balrogs.Pain
    OP

Member Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i have a : Intel® 82945G Express Chipset
    Also, i did turn everything down. including portal depth which made it just look like the portals from Diablo I. (It still froze though)

Alright, i now know i need to update my driver. but i cant find the damn update for windows XP and not vista. and whats worse is i spent atleast 30 minutes trying to find it and had to install 2 programs, which both require sign ups and monthly fees YET they said they were free. ugh. can someone help me find an update?

5. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Same thing happened to me on my old computer. My guess is that my graphics card is really bad, and can't handle Portals. I had a shitty graphics card that could barely play CS:S; looks like you can't play unless you get a better computer.

6. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I'm pretty sure that's integrated graphics, I think you'd struggle to play that on any settings without getting a graphics card I'm afraid.

7. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    A bit off topic but as you are talking about Portal. Portal Prelude the unofficial prequel to Portal has just been completed and released for download. [​IMG]

8. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    lol a Intel® 82945G Express Chipset is crap for games it is integrated.

Stick to flash games, You'll be able to run them [​IMG]

9. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I love you, thanks.

And trust me, I had integrated graphics for ages, they're awful. They lack some shading functions and things you really need that are in modern graphics cards. If you can find out if your motherboard has any PCI-E slots, you should buy a new graphics cards.
    If you only have PCI, hold out for the graphics cards some company are making for PCI (forgotten the name, but they're taking the nVidia GeForce 8000 series to PCI).