Portable Android Gaming System

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Prior22, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    I'm considering buying another android handheld gaming system to replace my Portable Shield. Anyone care to recommend some other quality handheld systems to handle running emulators? Thanks.

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    The shield is the only best quality u can get so get an updated shield

3. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    On other hand, you also have Dual-Boot Windows tablets.
    But still, nothing beats Tegra

4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Reasons to replace the shield? As others said it's the best portable android device to have unless you want something that is controller detachable.

5. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Detachable one is outdated and not sold anymore tho.
    Newest is that shield 10 inch tablet

6. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    I meant a phone that you can hook up to a controller via Bluetooth. That 10 inch shield tablet seems pretty good though although it doesn't exactly scream "portable" to me.

7. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Well since it was made around three or four years ago I assumed that more powerful android based handhelds have been produced since. Plus I can't stand the a/b/x/y buttons. Way too clicky. Reminds me too much of the PSP buttons. It's a tad bit heavy too.

No decent recommendations anyone?

8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    ...okay, I'm going to go ahead and say "GPD XD". No, I don't have one and no I haven't even looked up extensive reviews of the product. But I do have a GPD Win from the same company, and that's easily the best handheld device I ever had. I'd even recommend considering it (haven't checked out android emulation, but the win's touchscreen seems to be a perfect match at least on the hardware front.

Of course, it depends a lot on your tastes (it took me a few days to properly tweak the win for best power performance and ease-of-use, whereas I'm sure an android device is more straightforward), so...I guess I can't do anything but do a name drop of the product(s). :)

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    There aren't any recommendations cuz, quite frankly, the Shield Portable is still one of the best handhelds for Android gaming. Pretty much the only thing that beats it out performance-wise is the Shield tablet and that's it.

You could always go for one of the JXD handhelds, they aren't as powerful as the Shield but they're different I guess, and still work fine for emus.

10. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Any particular reason why Nvidia hasn't tried making a Portable Two? They're selling for big bucks on ebay. So clearly there is interest.

11. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Pretty certain it has something to do with their supply contract with Nintendo... :)

12. Lord M

Lord M GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2014
    Italy
    Must be Android? Because if you are really interested in emulation, the best one is Razer Edge Pro (but Windows 8-10).
    It can handle a lot of PS2 and WII games at full speed and, good lord, can run even some WiiU games :O
    Is the tablet i really want so bad...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVvtbBkjbs0gaMRSlXx90Q/videos

13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Nvidia actually had submitted a Shield Portable 2 to the FCC last year (which you can see pictures of here: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/12/nvidia-shield-portable-2/), but there hasn't been word on whether they'll launch one or not.

It's likely they simply don't want to continue developing a product with a rather low market share. Sure, they sell for big bucks on ebay now but when it launched it sold rather poorly (which is part of the reason why they sell for so much, very limited supply).

14. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Over 1000 dollars for a tablet??? Plus it was released over four years ago. Surprised the price hasn't declined more.

Plus that thing looks awfully bulky. Wonder how comfortable it is to hold over a long period of time.

15. Lord M

Oct 31, 2014
    Italy
    You can find it at better price on ebay lol (maybe used)
    Anyway, even if it a bit old, is still the best gaming tablet actually, and the only one with a dedicated GPU.

16. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    I'm mainly looking at the JXD 192k. Price is reasonable. Will email them to see if refunds are possible if I'm not satisfied.

Wondering if the a/b/x/y buttons have an xbox feel to them (since they look xbox like, which I love). Also if it can easily handle PPSSPP on 3x quality for graphics. Also wondering if its lighter weight than the shield portable.

17. Lord M

Oct 31, 2014
    Italy
    But Razer Edge Pro can handle Ps2 and Wii! A Portable Ps2 and Wii is a dream of all true gamers :O (and because, if can handle these emulators, can run DS, pSX, PSP and N64 in higher resolution!)
    Damn, if only i had money... :/

18. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    GPD Win.

19. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Tegra X1 All day. :P

I wish that shield portable that tom showed us was happening. Been waiting for tegra X1 portable for years. :(

I don't have to remind everyone it also allows pc stream games with any computer using Nvidia gtx cards right? Not only it means high performance Android system but also pc game play as well as cloud games via their stream service all on 5GHZ AC connection and over 9 hour battery (Need citation) life AND plugs into tv with 4K HD? That is a console all on is own, is practically pre Nintendo switch material right there. PRAISE IT. PRAISE IT! :bow:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Aug 7, 2017
  20. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    wait... android?
    then get the GPD XD