Pop'n DS (BMDS)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Oct 24, 2008.

Oct 24, 2008

Pop'n DS (BMDS) by Another World at 8:06 AM (9,079 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG] Pop'n DS (BMDS)
    10/21/08 update.
    [​IMG]

Yasu has updated Pop'n DS, his Pop'n Music rendition of the BEMANI beatmania game series. He fixed a (BPM changes) bug which had to do with the order of processing and change color settings are now stored in the ini file. Most notably this version features Touch Screen functionality

The download link and mirrored file were both removed by the request of the author. The file can be found on his homepage.

[​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    looks like dj-max for the psp [​IMG]

3. Tenkaichi

Member Tenkaichi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whoa. Coool, but wait a sec, but Pop 'n? How the hell am I supposed to play - nevermind. I'll try it first... be right back.

Edit:

Okay, this has a lot of potential... but for starters, this isn't in English and it is fairly self-explanatory. Doesn't have sound, but the buttons could have a legend in the .txt file to help for guidance, and in future versions please label difficulty for songs correctly.

The genre is a nice thing to have in the menu (though there is no sound accompanying it yet), but the "5" is easier than the "3" song in the menu, and not just by how many buttons you have to press at a time, but even when you factor in the normal BPM.

Additional note: settings for 1x, 1.5x etc. speed mod would be a great addition. Stealth and other funky mods can be added at later dates, but like in other Bemani games, toying with the speed can make it worlds easier to read.

Touch screen functionality...? I think I'm missing something here. Maybe a video would show me what it is I'm supposed to be "touching?" Input is fine using the buttons, and once you get to the higher levels with multiple hits per line - it wouldn't be practical to have it on the bottom screen anyway... maybe only for navigating through menus or something, but it's not really necessary.

Thank you for the release! I look forward to the future versions of this. [​IMG] In theory however, wouldn't IIDX or even Beatmania 5-key be easier to render on the DS? Pop 'n is cute, but practical works too since Pop 'n has so many buttons here...

4. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    So this is like DDR for DS? How veeeery strange and interesting indeed.

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

no its BEATMANIA it even says above in the description!

not DDR theres a DDR already out there for ds hombrew [​IMG]

6. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Awesome, I love Beatmania games! I haven't tried this out, but how is it gonna work? The DS isn't multi touch. This would be awesome for iPhone

7. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The touch screen is only used for 1 button, which can be changed in the ini file so it doesn't need to be multi touch. A lot of you sound really confused. If you've played or seen any of the Pop'n series you will know this homebrew is quite obviously based on Pop'n Music, and really has nothing to do with Beatmania. I've uploaded a couple of videos to youtube, originally from nico video (requires registration). First one shows the touch screen being used for the white button.

8. leinad

Member leinad GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Where to get the sounds for this o.o ?

9. Tenkaichi

Member Tenkaichi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for the video (since I can't access through niconico).

Of course it has nothing to do with Beatmania (or Beatmania IIDX) etc. The only thing they all have in common is that they're Konami games and that you have to do (x) movement/button press at (y) time to combo and everything, but most people don't know much about these games unless they've dabbled in the realm of imports or even just some choice arcades.

10. dgregh

Newcomer dgregh Member

United States
    awesome! I love the pop'n'music games!! Bemani games have always been a fav for me and my wife. DL this right now!

11. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    the second video was pure win

12. HavQ

Newcomer HavQ Member

Finland
    The sounds don't work for me either. Any ideas how to fix it?

13. john9871

Newcomer john9871 Member

United States
    What is the file structure for this? I get error saying can't load l2u [​IMG]

14. Lopol

Newcomer Lopol Newbie

Poland
    I'm so sorry for refreshing but: How i can launch it on my DS Lite i downloaded it and it doesn't have sound [​IMG]

P.S. Im SO sry for refreshing and im sry for my ENG its very shitty because im from poland [​IMG]
    P.S2. Please don't give me warn...

15. azure0wind

Member azure0wind 7 years flew so fast.

Indonesia
    yeah [​IMG]
    mine can't play the music either any help? [​IMG]

16. vhunter

Member vhunter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The above post by tenkaichi says that it doen't have sound yet.

17. xkotax

Newcomer xkotax Newbie

United States
    im sorry i am new here but whats the use of releaseing a game, expecaly a rythem game, with out any sound its like telling a def person to lisen to a radio. to me it just donsnt make sence. now that iv got that out of the way the next thing is that theres a post saying it has no sound yet but apparently the videos of the game play has sound so if someone can kindly point the way where i can get the sound from i would very much be thankful. thank you.
    (pardon my spelling)

18. JCgorongo

Newcomer JCgorongo Newbie

Puerto Rico
    my BMDS cannot play music. when ever i load it; it comes up with something ithink its the music selection but icant play music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can some one help me?????????????????
    idont now where to put the music files.

19. transgenic

Newcomer transgenic Member

Chile
  20. azure0wind

Member azure0wind 7 years flew so fast.

Indonesia
    @transgeic: yes you're right after you download the link that you give, extract and put the files in the BMDS folder.
    The link is in the Readme.txt(? i think) that come with the BMDS file....