Polling Station: How desperate are you for the kernel exploit?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Voxel, Jun 28, 2015.

?

How desperate are you for the kernel exploit?

1. Very Very VERY desperate!

69 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. I'd say I'm rather desperate!

16 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. I'm quite keen.

54 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Not very keen...

11 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Meh!

33 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Boy, I seem to be posting a lot, lately!

Anyway, it's been quite the while since MrBean35000vr and Chadderz showed off their game modding exploit, and now, they've been keeping rather quiet about it lately. I know for a fact that they did say they were going to release around E3 time; but E3's ended now. So, today I'm going to put together a little poll to see how desperate people are for the kernel exploit! This will determine whether they're being a bit slow with releasing it.
    Now, before people start to have a rant and a rave at me - I know it takes time and effort to polish up such a delicate exploit like this, but if they could just release something like a beta version, or the most stable version they have, it would be grand to see what's in store!
    So, without any further ado, let's see how keen you all are for the kernel exploit:

2. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    They did that with the webkit exploit and the result was 30 pages of people complaining that it's not working, or a handful of examples that do little more than print hello world. It's been almost two weeks since the exploit was released, and at the moment we've got a bunch of half-baked programs. The most interesting thing is the Pong example.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for all of the work going into this, but releasing a second broken exploit would just drive interest away from the project. The webkit exploit should have never been released until it was completely polished and ready.

CosmoCortney and frogboy like this.
  3. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I'm not talking about that kind of exploit - not the "hello world" one! I'm talking about the game modding kernel exploit that Chadderz and MrBean35000vr used. Here's the video:

4. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I don't know what the kernel exploit is exactly. The video only shows Mario Kart 8, and I can't think of where RAM editing would be necessary to me in the Wii U games I played. Unless I want to cheat, or after beating a game, I just mess around.

5. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    Exactly, you need the kernel exploit to accomplish that, and the kernel exploit is not finished. It shouldn't be released in any state that's unstable.

6. Mathew_Wi

Mathew_Wi bye

Sep 29, 2009
    It's so unreliable right now, it would be a waste to release it as is. Nintendo will just patch it and screw over the upcoming IOSU exploit.

7. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Don't want to be mean, bro, but have you done your research? You can do a LOT more with the "RAM editing"! Not only can you cheat, but you can edit almost all values and aspects of the game, such as physics, numerical values such as coins, speed etc. Also, you can read the Wii U game disc file structure and dump the files from the disc itself! The list is endless!

Edit: You can also perform file swaps, as well, such as BGM swapping!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So, what? Just persuade everyone to block the updates! But, then again, you can't play any future games and updates, so you're 90% right, I guess!

8. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I totally Agree; Same, Here!

9. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    I want to get it out to competent game modders in private before releasing everything, since otherwise, it will just be completely wasted and get patched. I've already started doing this, as people like NWPlayer123, MrRean, and soneek have access, but allowing game modding scenes to start forming is important.

Piluvr, Obveron, KungFuzion and 4 others like this.
  10. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Psst! Are you up for giving one more guy the exploit? Or are you just sharing with friends?

Last edited by Voxel, Jun 28, 2015
  11. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I haven't, that's why I asked exactly what it does. I only caught the RAM editing. So could I edit SSB4 music files? As great as the music is, I'd love to put custom tracks.

12. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Oh, OK then! Good to see that you're interested as well!

edit: Only just saw the question! :wacko: You could probably replace the music files! Maybe not editing them, though.

13. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Well, let's just see what he has to say; he may just share it with me! I do like to mod games, as well, AND I am also a game studio (hence the name Voxel Studios)!

14. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I think the quote in your comment is still showing my email; could you just tweak that for me, please! Thanks in advance.

15. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    I'm not sharing with them because they're my friends, I'm sharing with them because I know what they can do. NWPlayer123 and MrRean were in the SMG hacking scene that I was a part of, and I didn't actually know soneek, but saw his work on music importing. If you can show that you have the necessarily skills for game modding, I would consider providing the exploit, provided that I can trust you so it doesn't end up leaking. ("you" is aimed at anyone)

paulloeduardo likes this.
  16. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    I don't see a reason for this thread to exist.

It'll be here eventually, regardless of how desperately anyone might want it right this instant.

oumoumad, bache, wj44 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Please, please, please, you can trust me; I would never share something that you wouldn't want sharing, that's a promise!
    Here's a video of proof that I can mod games. This one is where I replace Sonic's blue body texture for a green body texture in Sonic Colors Wii:

That's not all! Check out my channel - I have done mods, hacks, and all sorts!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCILc8IY4vP038BJ84Rvwh7A/featured

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The point of this thread is to see how bad people want this exploit.

18. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    meh im used to waiting and understand their point of view

19. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    OK. :cry:

20. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I bought my Wii U to use it legit so I could care less about hacking it (for piracy). Hopefully when it gets fully hacked there is some good homebrew for it and any version of the system will be hackable.