Pokesav Legality Checker and Trash Bytes Programs

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Cinder Twig, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Cinder Twig
    OP

Newcomer Cinder Twig Newbie

United States
    Hey there, I hope this is in the right section!

I've been having some trouble trying to get the Legality Checker and Trash Bytes programs to work for Pokesav. I downloaded Microsoft .Net Framework, but I may have done it wrong so will need some clarification on this. It was version 3.5, but it said 2.0 was included in it. Did I do this right? After the download I extracted the files, but I can't seem to drag and drop files into the previously mentioned programs. I'm running Vista on my laptop, if that helps. I've restarted the computer too, but it's still not working. Will someone let me know if I've done something wrong? I'd appreciate the help.

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
  3. Cinder Twig
    OP

United States
    I actually asked this question on that forum too, but no one has answered yet.

I haven't been able to find the information I need on this page, either. I downloaded the file from the link given, and I'm still having issues. I'm wondering if it's because I need to directly download version 2.0, or if 3.5 is alright because it includes 2.0 in it? I'm not sure. :\ I also don't know if this is affecting my ability to drop and drag files, or if that's different. If anybody knows or has any advice, that'd be great! If you need more details ask away.

4. XXNatus

Member XXNatus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I recall having this exact problem, unfortunately I forgot how I fixed it. I'll look into it, and I'll get back to you if I remember anything that might be helpful.

EDIT: A couple of questions:
    Did you already install Microsoft.Net Framework, and if so, was the installation successful?
    Do you get any kind of error message when dropping files onto the Legality Checker?

5. Cinder Twig
    OP

United States
    Thanks for your help!

I installed the exact thing the link on the Project Pokemon forum page provided me, which was version 3.5. I ran the set-up, and it said it installed. When I look under programs/devices, I see it there as: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.

By "dropping" files onto the Legality Checker, do you mean clicking on the file, holding down the mouse key, dragging it over on top of the other program and releasing it? If so, I have tried that, and I do not get and error code, it just doesn't work. As I hold the file over the program I see an icon that is a circle with a line through it. This symbol, basically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ProhibitionSign2.svg So it's just not letting me drop the file onto the program.

Now, when I read "drop" the file onto the other program, I did take that literally. If there's another way to get the file into the program, that might be where I'm messing up. I hope this information helps, though! ^^ I'm also running Vista x64, if that's important, however I remember having this same problem on my desktop which is XP, and it was also not resolved.

6. XXNatus

United States
    I noticed that the download for the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 was only 2.7MB, I think it only updates your existing framework installation, but it does not install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 itself.

Quote from the download page:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1."

Try downloading Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 from this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Uninstall the 3.5 version from your system to prevent any conflicts. Install the 2.0 version, and report back.

7. Cinder Twig
    OP

United States
    Interesting new development! I uninstalled .NET Framework 3.5, then installed 2.0 from the link you gave me, and during set-up I got the message: Error - this product is already installed as a part of the operating system. Which is nice, I suppose, but when I double-checked dropping the .PKM files onto the Legality Checker I still get the "NO WAY" icon. :C

I'm not sure if it has to do with the .NET Framework now. Any ideas? If you'd like me to take any screenshots of what I'm doing I can do that.

Edit: Another thought, could I be missing a driver of some sort?

8. XXNatus

United States
    I don't think a missing driver could be the cause of your problem... Mmmh... [​IMG]

Have you tried:
    1. Right-click the .pkm file
    2. Select open from the right-click menu
    3. Click on the bubble next to Select a program from a list of installed programs and press OK
    4. Click on Browse...
    5. Browse to wherever it is that you extracted the Legality Checker, and select the file named Legal
    6. Press Open
    7. Make sure it is highlighted on the Open with window, and press OK

Try that to see if it works.

9. Cinder Twig
    OP

United States
    Yes, that worked! It worked wonderfully! You have solved my problem, thank you! ヽ(゜▽ ゜)ノ I really appreciate your help. ^^

10. XXNatus

United States
    Don't mention it. If you run into any other issues just PM me and I'll be glad to help.

11. Cinder Twig
    OP

United States
    Alright, I will! :3