Pokesav help!

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by kevin007, Oct 11, 2008.

Oct 11, 2008

Pokesav help! by kevin007 at 5:33 AM (1,315 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. kevin007
    OP

Newcomer kevin007 Advanced Member

Canada
    this is really weird, the last time i played pokemon diamond was a year ago, everything worked fine, I could edit saves and stuff, now i restarted my game and kinda retaught myself how to use pokesav.

I can do all the editing and stuff but when i load the game, everything remains the same.

I just finished my 2nd badge btw, is that a reason?

2. Cronorei

Newcomer Cronorei Advanced Member

United States
    Are you putting the pokesav'd file in before the M3 backs up the save file you last played?

Save the game, turn off the M3 and turn it back on or Reset, let it back up the save file, THEN put the new save file in the save directory.

3. kevin007
    OP

Canada
    Yes, it is really wierd, this is what I do

1. Save Game
    2. Turn off DS
    3. Turn on for the autosav function then turn off again
    4. Edit the sav
    5. try it in DS, doesnt work
    6 Plug it into computer again and boot up the sav. I see the changes but it doesnt load in the game.

4. Cronorei

United States
    Is the .dat save file named exactly the same as your rom?

I have a MiniSD slot 2 M3 Perfect as well and I have no troubles using it so long as my rom and save are named identically.

5. kevin007
    OP

Canada
    Yes it is.

BTW, are you supposed to press save or save as and replace the old savefile when you are done?

6. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Cronorei may have hit the nail on the head. When games are played on the m3 mini sd it is stored until it is restarted when it will overwrite what is previously on it. Therefore if you make the changes before the data is backed up to the save, it will just be overwritten.

7. kevin007
    OP

Canada
    Its obvious that I made my changes, b/c if i open my save file in PokeSav, all the changes are there, but when I load the save in my DS nothing changes...

very very confused!

8. kevin007
    OP

Canada
    this is drivng me nuts!

9. Cronorei

United States
    Try doing this

1. Save in game then turn off the DS and turn it back on so it backs up the save file.
    2. Connect your SD card to your computer and open the NDSSAVE folder (that's what the firmware made for me ages ago), copy the Pokemon save file off of the SD card and into your pokesav folder on your computer.
    3. Open the file and make the changes, make sure the memory type is 512k when you are finished press the "Save" button, not the "Save as" button.
    4. Copy the .dat file from your pokesav folder and back to your SD card's NDSsave folder.
    5. Eject your SD card safely, reinsert it into your M3, boot the DS and see if the changes went through.

If they didn't then you have a problem somewhere in either your SD card or with the rom itself.