ROM Hack Pokémon text editing, items that has gender

MaiconErick

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,
In the Pokémon text files for the 3DS games, there is this "var", [VAR GENDBR(00xx,xxxx)].
It is used for lines that has different words based on the gender of the player.

For example, there's this line from a narrator:
His performance at the contest was great! > This line is displayed if the player is male.
Her performance at the contest was great! > This line is displayed if the player is female.

The text saved on the ROMFS would be:
H[VAR GENDBR(00FF,0202)]iser performance at the contest was great!

This is based on the player's gender. But for items, like this line in Spanish:
(There's no example in English for this, as English nouns are neutral.)

Es[VAR GENDBR(0000,0101)]ea [VAR ITEM2(0000)] es azul.

Pokéball is an item that's female on most latin languages. If they're talking about a Pokéball, this would be the displayed text in game:
Esa Poké Ball es azul. (This Pokéball is blue.)​

But if they're talking about the item Calcium, that is male, it would be like this:
Ese Carbón es azul. (This Charcoal is blue.)​

So, somewhere in the ROM, there's information about the gender of the items. I am translating ORAS to Brazilian Portuguese, so I need to change the items gender to match this target language. I need help. :x

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know there are gender values for the MC, but I don't think it have for item and pokemon... maybe the Spanish must have, if not, I think it's not there ... we would have to program something in the game so it works there õ3o

(thanks god you found that too ... later translation would make a " bem vindo(a)" ... or worse ... "bemvindox" xAX lololo )

Reactions: MaiconErick

MaiconErick

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know there are gender values for the MC, but I don't think it have for item and pokemon... maybe the Spanish must have, if not, I think it's not there ... we would have to program something in the game so it works there õ3o

(thanks god you found that too ... later translation would make a " bem vindo(a)" ... or worse ... "bemvindox" xAX lololo )

I'm pretty sure that information is in the rom already.
¿Cuánt[VAR GENDBR(0000,0101)]oas [VAR ITEMPLUR1][VAR ITEM2(0000)] quieres?

It just wouldn't make sense to use "Cuántos" for a female item. Otherwise they would just use a neutral pattern, which would be weird, like: "¿Cuántos deste item: Poké Ball quieres?"

Last edited by MaiconErick,

TudorykMakNark

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi @MaiconErick , I've been started a project to translate Pokémon Ultra Moon to portuguese, I had some doubts, about gender variations, and found this thread, aparently you know about this, can you help with somethings? I can't send PM now, eu know this forum a long time but never create an account, thats a new account and I can't send PM for now kk if you can help me send a PM, ok?

Last edited by TudorykMakNark,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho