Vetches

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
Before I start, just wanted to say that I apologize if I'm spamming the forums with topics. I'm just very new to the world of EZ Flash, and need some questions answered.

Now, with that being said, I have another question, regarding Pokemon rom hacks specifically. Whenever I download a base rom hack (Not Emerald, but Fire Red, Ruby, etc.), and patch it using a rom hack's .ips file (using MultiPatch), I get a perfectly fine rom hack that works on the Visual Boy Advance emulator. But for some reason whenever I patch the game using the EZ4Client (it's under 16mb or at 16mb), it patches, but it doesn't work on the actual cartridge. It says "progressing" but comes up with a white screen after hitting the 100% mark and writing. I've done a bit of research and found something about changing the hex decimals or something? I'm not exactly sure what it means, but I know (I think) that it has to do with the header of the rom itself. The odd thing is that whenever I run it through GBATA and click "FIX HEADER," it doesn't let me, which I assume is a good thing, but that means it's a different problem altogether. If anyone can help me and give me any information that might help me fix this problem, it'd be greatly appreciated! I should also mention that I can play regular Pokemon rom games on it just fine, I've tried playing Pokemon Fire Red with no issues at all, so it's something specifically wrong with the hack. Thanks in advance, and hears to hoping I can play Pokemon rom hacks!

spencer5976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A number of rom hackers change the header, but it's not really that hard to modify.

Download a hex editor - XVI32 works.

Open up a unmodified rom. I'll use Fire Red as a example. Three lines down you should see a section that says POKEMON FIREBPRE01.

The BPRE section is what some rom hackers modify, although I've occasionally seen the entire section replaced.

So say that the section was modified to POKEMON FIREHACK01. You can swap out HACK for BPRE and the rom should work fine, and it should let you play the hack on a EZflash. I've done this kind of change a lot of times, and I haven't seen it break anything.

Hackers started doing this to break compabaility with hacking programs - To keep other people from modifying their hacks - But it's hilariously easy to fix now a days.

For refrence, Ruby's section is POKEMON RUBYAVXE01. Emerald, Leaf Green, and Sapphire weren't that popular for hacking so I don't remember the specifc offsets.

I you don't want to try this yourself, point me to the patches and I can change them.

Vetches

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you mean the games as the patches, which are Fire Red, Ruby, Leaf Green, and Emerald. Although I have heard that you have to use a mini-SD card rather than what I use, which is a micro-SD card and an adapter. Anyways, thanks for the help!

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country
no he just told you how to fix the header of the patched rom it has nothing to do with you using a mini sd or micro to mini adaptor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1