Pokemon Masters gets new information, shows off 3v3 battles and gameplay

After promising more information on the game, The Pokemon Company has uploaded an eight-minute trailer for the next Pokemon mobile game. Half of the video's runtime is dedicated to an anime short featuring many of the series' main characters, gym leaders, and champions. The concept for Pokemon Masters comes from Game Freak veteran Ken Sugimori, who wanted to make a game where you befriend not only Pokemon, but trainers as well. You'll be trying to make your way to the Pokemon Master's League, by teaming up with Pokemon trainers to fight in 3v3 battles. The gameplay is not turn-based, but instead allows players to attack as soon as their move gauge fills. Typical Pokemon moves are shown, like Energy Ball and Astonish, but there are also Sync Moves, which are similar in execution to Z-moves, and trainers have their own abilities, which can be used to heal or buff your team.

3IqTkwt.jpg

Pokemon Masters will be out in summer of 2019, worldwide.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean, you kinda have to expect any game that has a competitive side is going to have players that "did their homework." If Game Freak doesn't like that side of the game, then they shouldn't be fanning the flames and hosting tournaments and the like. I also kinda feel like you're blowing the knowledge needed to understand stats out of proportion. Besides, nothing about the competitive side is preventing you from enjoying single player and "catching 'em all" or casual matches with friends or other casuals you meet online. I don't particularly enjoy playing dress-up with my pikachu, so I just don't. I fail to see how having a competitive side for more hardcore fans "ruins" anything for anyone else.
The "competitive" Pokemon scene ruins the games in the same way hardcore Trekkies and Star Wars fans ruin the respective franchises by endlessly picking them apart instead of just enjoying them for what they are.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "competitive" Pokemon scene ruins the games in the same way hardcore Trekkies and Star Wars fans ruin the respective franchises by endlessly picking them apart instead of just enjoying them for what they are.
I'm sorry, but I dont see how that affects anything besides your personal viewpoint. People will pick apart literally any game. No one is forcing you to do the same. Single player is still plenty easy enough to play without ever once breeding or training for EVs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sorry, but I dont see how that affects anything besides your personal viewpoint. People will pick apart literally any game. No one is forcing you to do the same. Single player is still plenty easy enough to play without ever once breeding or training for EVs.
You're completely missing the point, but I guess that's fine. Ultimately you're not wrong, you're just not seeing the problem. As for the meta of Pokemon, let's not pretend that you need a degree to understand it, it's rock paper scissors 2.0 with some very mild math, and pointing that out always seems to upset the hardcore fans. The difficulty is not a barrier for entry, the appalling fanbase is. Competitive Pokemon players are second only to competitive Smash players when it comes to annoyance, and that's a feat in and out of itself.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're completely missing the point, but I guess that's fine. Ultimately you're not wrong, you're just not seeing the problem. As for the meta of Pokemon, let's not pretend that you need a degree to understand it, it's rock paper scissors 2.0 with some very mild math, and pointing that out always seems to upset the hardcore fans. The difficulty is not a barrier for entry, the appalling fanbase is. Competitive Pokemon players are second only to competitive Smash players when it comes to annoyance, and that's a feat in and out of itself.
What is your point, then? That the bad fanbase ruins it for you? It's a game for kids, of course it's going to be toxic. Ever had the misfortune to experience the Undertale community? Yes, there is a lot of extremely toxic behavior within the community, but it goes both ways. I've seen someone (from this site actually) absolutely lose their shit, throw a tantrum, and delete all their social media accounts. Why? Because other people hack pokemon. When we tried to calm him down we found out he doesnt even play online. Point is, if your concern is the community, then the competitive group isn't the only problem in that regard.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What is your point, then? That the bad fanbase ruins it for you? It's a game for kids, of course it's going to be toxic. Ever had the misfortune to experience the Undertale community? Yes, there is a lot of extremely toxic behavior within the community, but it goes both ways. I've seen someone (from this site actually) absolutely lose their shit, throw a tantrum, and delete all their social media accounts. Why? Because other people hack pokemon. When we tried to calm him down we found out he doesnt even play online. Point is, if your concern is the community, then the competitive group isn't the only problem in that regard.
They don't necessarily ruin the game for me, but I can certainly see them ruining it for others, as you yourself mention in your story. It is what it is, a fun fantasy adventure with magical creatures you can collect and befriend, that's it. It's also not the competitive nature of the fanbase that bothers me - that I can understand. I'm not bothered by the toxicity either, I'm toxic myself. It's a very specific aspect of the combination of the two, the inability to distance oneself from the game, that gets me. Your story perfectly describes what I'm talking about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: