Pokemon Crystal headed to Nintendo 3DS eShop

IMG_5978.JPG

With the successful re-release of the second generation Pokemon games onto the Nintendo 3DS eShop, the "definitive" version, Pokemon Crystal, will also be making its way to the eShop as well. It'll launch on January 26, 2018 for $9.99, and will come with Pokemon Bank compatability, so that you can bring your Pokemon all the way up to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, from every single mainline Pokemon game. For those that prefer physical releases, there will also be a boxed version that contains the game's download code within. The once impossible to access Celebii event will also be available to the western versions (without cheating) for the first time. A special limited edition Pikachu New 2DS XL will also launch the same day in Europe, while North America will get the PokeBall N2DS XL.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why, yes I am aware of those remakes.
I meant a Crystal Remake.

I facepalmed.

Crystal is just an upgraded version of Gold Silver with no noticeable changes to gameplay nor story that would be worth of separate remake, also some of these minor upgrades from Crystal actualy were used in HG/SS. What's the point of Crystal remake, again?

SaiTheOHaireDeliveryGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I facepalmed.

Crystal is just an upgraded version of Gold Silver with no noticeable changes to gameplay nor story that would be worth of separate remake, also some of these minor upgrades from Crystal actualy were used in HG/SS. What's the point of Crystal remake, again?
Basically this.
Crystal added Eusine and his awe of Suicune. HGSS had it.
Crystal added the happiness checker and move tutors. HGSS had it.
Crystal added Extremespeed Dratini. HGSS had it.
Other items and such exclusive to Crystal? HGSS had those and more from the other regions (i.e. Hoenn and Sinnoh) post game.

WBW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no such thing as a Celebi event in Gold and Silver. The whole GS Ball side quest was an addition to Crystal. Furthermore, the Celebi code you'd get from purchasing Gold and Silver from the eShop is a Mystery Gift code for Sun and Moon. Ergo, this is the only legitimate Celebi you can receive in the 2nd generation Virtual Console games.

Just another note that the Japanese website states that there's no Mobile Adapter features. (I am very disappointed about this.)

Last edited by WBW,

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
the gold and sliver vc already had the linking patches for crystal
I can't believe no one mentioned this earlier in the thread. Yes, Nintendo just made a smart business move (and a dick move to their customers) where they released Gold and Silver first but had Crystal ready to go, then released Crystal later just to get people to double-dip. It seems to have worked so far.

Also, their "physical" releases are such a sham.

I'm glad I waited for Crystal but also, fuck Nintendo.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup you can do, i've been Mystery Gifting with a friend at work 5 days a week for almost 3 months now. I've managed to get quite a few of the decorative items.

In that time only one of us has got an Evolution Stone though.

Mystery Gifting only works 3DS to 3DS however, not GBC to 3DS.

This is awesome, can't believe Nintendo didn't showcase this when they announced Gold and Silver were coming to the 3DS VC. It would be nuts if it was able to also communicate with an actual GBC, but I really wasn't expecting that to be possible, so to see that's not an option isn't really surprising. Still, I've been using the injected Crystal that has the messed up title screen, and obviously lacks the IR mystery gift ability, but had the patched in linking feature which has been nice, but I'll definitely be replacing it with the official version when that drops.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1