Pokemon B/W trouble with certain Micro SD cards

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by teleska, Sep 18, 2010.

Sep 18, 2010
  1. teleska
    OP

Newcomer teleska Advanced Member

United States
    Since it seems after I post my post in the bigger threads, people still ask questions about this.

Ok this is what I know.

I have 2acekards 2.i (bought at the same time etc) However, I ahve different Memcards. 1 HP 4gb sdhc and 1 pny 4gb sdhc. The game works perfectly fine on the HP memory card and doesn't work on the PNY card. I however tried to place the HP working card into the other acekard that wasn't working with and it made that acekard work totally fine.

The PNY will halt after the professor speech and will not go any further.

I have not yet tried to reformat the PNY card.
    I have not yet tried to make a SAV file from the good HP card and place it on the PNY card yet.

So I believe the halting after the professor speech is due to the type of SDHC cards that people are using.
    I will be able to do more testing later..
    I have 4 Acekards 2i's that were all purchased in the same "BATCH" and 3 types of SDHC cards and 1 2GB card. I will check some things out later and test stuff.

But again though. Im real positive it has to do with the type of SDHC card.

2. teleska
    OP

United States
    Just going to bump this so it is at the top. People keep posting in the other 2 threads about this issue.

Just change the memory card and it will do the trick.. I personally don't know why, but certain SD cards are cool and others aren't. Access time maybe? Meh.. I dont know.

3. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    It seems the SD card is the problem for quite a few people. Although it's a little too early to say it's definitely the SD cards problem. If it helps I'm using a 2gb Kingston micro SD card and playing the patched game with no problems thus far.

4. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Since you've determined that the problem isn't in your Acekard(s), I'm going to edit the title a bit to try and help you get better answers.

5. deseraimp

Newcomer deseraimp Newbie

United States
    I'm having the same problem using a Sandisk 4GB SDHC Micro. I've tried several different firmware versions, both Acekard and Akaio, and nothing has worked. The game gets past the intro (after naming your character and such) and then it freezes with a black screen. =[

6. Sebbel

Newcomer Sebbel Advanced Member

Germany
    It works fine with a Sandisk 2 GB, if it helps.

7. deseraimp

Newcomer deseraimp Newbie

United States
    I actually do have a 2gb Sandisk back home, but I wouldn't be able to get it for a few weeks D; seems strange that one brand with different capacities would have different results. Maybe it's not the SD card after all, but a combination of factors?

This may or may not be helpful but I have the Danny Phantom hack installed for my DSi XL.

8. yamizace

Newcomer yamizace Member

United States
    I have a 2gb sandisk and it isnt working. Would you mind posting your settings so i can see if i did something wrong with mine? I have akaio 1.7.1

9. teleska
    OP

United States
    ok so I finally got home.

I have

4gb HP - works
    4gb PNY - doesn't work past professor speech
    2gb PNY - Works
    4Gb PNY - Works , but Different writing than other 4gb so different style

So even with the same Brand and same size I have one that works with the game and one that does not. Strange! However like I said, they are obviously 2 different chips and not identical.

Tried with 4 different Acekards 2i. all of those were purchased at the same time int he same shipment.
    Tried with 4 separate DS Lites.

Take that for what it is worth!

10. TheMantyke

Newcomer TheMantyke Newbie

United States
    I'm going to report a similar problem. I've tried loading the game with my Acekard 2 on both a 1GB Sandisk and a 4GB Sandisk SD card. The rom just goes to a white screen when it loads (for the record, I've tried multiple roms, all of them yield the same white screen).

11. teleska
    OP

United States
    OK. This was the last thing I was going to try.

i put my son's save file on my memory card, tried to load it up and it just freezes.. no load up.

12. mr.uk

Newcomer mr.uk Member

United Kingdom
    Just tried the patched black version on 3 cards

Kingston 4gb - black screens after the prof's speech (has class 4 written on it)
    sandisk 4gb - black screens after the prof's speech
    samsung 2gb - works fine (this card came free with a sammy phone bought back in feb this year)

the samsung and sandisk cards have no class written on them but from the t/f speeds they seem class 2-4

13. beanman25

Newcomer beanman25 Advanced Member

United States
    my brother had a 2gb sandisk, and the game loads up fine for him. I tried making a save and moving it to my 4gb and it just froze. I really hope this gets fixed.

14. 12201

Newcomer 12201 Member

United States
    i use a 2gb sandisk and a acekard runs perfectly fine for me o-o

15. exspeediator

Newcomer exspeediator Newbie

United States
    This is true my 4GB PNY sd card has freezing issues when loading a save and makeing a new game. Where as my 2GB kingston works fine.

16. beanman25

Newcomer beanman25 Advanced Member

United States
    would it be possible to partition the 4gb card to 2gb?

17. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Most likely it wouldn't help.
    If the problem is with MicroSDHCs (as opposed to MicroSDs), then no formatting or partitioning will make a difference.
    Mantis41 mentioned that this could be a Random Access speed issue, in which case some cards, namely lower quality or cheaply made cards, will probably never work.

18. Zurren

Member Zurren GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Curiosity time: have any of you people who can't get the game to go past the introduction used the GParted trick to get your AK2i to soft reset properly?
    Well, it may be a possibility, somehow. I've done that on the SDHC (Kingston 4GB class 4) I'm using, and the game doesn't work here.

19. Sebbel

Newcomer Sebbel Advanced Member

Germany
    First of all, I patched it of course.
    Then i just disabled Soft reset, cheats and ds download play. It works without any freezes and with exp gain. I am at the second leader right now, without any complications.

20. exspeediator

Newcomer exspeediator Newbie

United States
    Mine are patched trimmed i have formated that 4gb card i have given up on it for pokemon white. How ever I have gotten it to load the game a few times one time i pressed a over again and named my self ????? which is about the same as aaaaa the game started. Second Time I loaded a save file from my 2gb it worked once and never again. So it can load it just about 1/10 times. [​IMG]