PLZ Help How To Connect A Wii Without Component ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by jgdsl, Jul 5, 2011.

1. jgdsl
    OP

Newcomer jgdsl Member

United States
    Hi everyone I would like to buy a Wii ASAP. Problem is right now I only have a 27'' monitor to connect it to and it does not have any component inputs on it. It only has VGA, DVI, HDMI so I was planing on investing in the HDMIkey problem is its a bit expensive and I am running on a tight budget right now. I would like someone to plz help me as to what adapter can I buy right now that is pretty cheap that will display the max Wii rez of 480p so I can get to gaming right now and in the future if its worth it get the HDMIkey.

Thanks

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    You don't have a TV?

3. jgdsl
    OP

Newcomer jgdsl Member

United States
    yea I do I have a 47' Samsung LED problem is its in the living room problem is to get to the kitchen you have to pass in front of it so its kinda annoying to play a game while someone is passing by every few mins. So is there any adapter that I can use to connect it to my monitor that with output full 480p ?

Thanks

4. jgdsl
    OP

Newcomer jgdsl Member

United States
    Guess I am pretty much out luck its either the hdmi key or nothing huh

5. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    there is some other options but they probably end up costing more cuz you'd have to buy component cables as well.

6. Spongeroberto

Member Spongeroberto GBAtemp Regular

Bhutan
    I suppose you have two options:

1) use wii2hdmi: will cost you about 35 dollars and you'll get the same graphics quality as component, which is the best you'll get out of your Wii. If your pc monitor has speakers you can use those via the hdmi interface. If not you can plug in your pc speakers or earphones in the adapter. Hdmikey is also an option but it's horribly overpriced.

2) use a wii to vga adapter: these go for about 5-10 dollars. You'll be able to use your monitor but you will probably get generally poor graphics. Chances are that some video modes won't work properly (which may make some games impossible to play). If your monitor has speakers you won't be able to use them. However, you do get a 3.5mm jack for headphones or pc speakers.

I currently use the 2nd option at my student dorm and I'm gonna invest in the hdmi adapter.

7. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    No, you could simply attach the monitor to this 3.5mm jack too to use its speakers.

8. Spongeroberto

Member Spongeroberto GBAtemp Regular

Bhutan
    Possible but not certain. Monitors with built-in speakers don't always have a seperate audio input; often the speakers are for use with hdmi input alone.

I didn't wanna tell him he could do something he may not be able to.

9. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    well make sense I guess but I have never seen such a monitor

10. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    I think it would be best to play on your TV because I also play it on my TV with people going around every 2 mins but it still doesn't bother me so I don't think it would be a big deal for you.

11. jgdsl
    OP

Newcomer jgdsl Member

United States
    Thanks allot you guys for all you input and suggestions on on my problem. What I am going to do is buy a wii and play on my tv till for a bit till I have enough money to buy the wii2hdmi or hdmikey. Thanks to all for the help.