Hacking Please suggest storage options

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not used my PS3 in some time but the recent breakthroughs have brought me back. Now that I managed to get CFW on my ps3 I would like to possibly install a new Hard drive in it. Can someone recommend some good internal drives or possibly a cheap option? I was reading that on OFW a 1.5 TB internal drive is the max and a 2TB external is max. Can anyone confirm this to be true? On CFW do we have the option of larger drives?

What is your current setup like? I feel a 500gb hard drive is not going to cut it and am interested in getting a 2TB internal if possible and a 2tb external.

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a 750gb hybrid drive because I had it laying around. I had seen a video comparing a regular hdd, hybrid, and ssd before. Of course the ssd was best but the hybrid still gave some improvement.

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a 1TB sata II drive. theyre not very expensive these days.
That is an option, I guess Im leaning towards size>price. I would like the biggest drive possible since PS2 has to be on the internal storage from my understanding.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is an option, I guess Im leaning towards size>price. I would like the biggest drive possible since PS2 has to be on the internal storage from my understanding.
2TB is plenty for both PS2 and PS3 games. A PS2 game (unless there are multiple discs) is ~4GB, so even 100 PS2 games would be 1/5th of that. Unless you're one of those people who needs to be actively playing 27 different games at once, I don't see why you would need more than that. You're about a week too late for asking about good hard drive (deals), since there was a fairly cheap 2TB SSHD on sale during Black Friday. Now you're looking at about $100 for a 2TB FireCuda. Same price at both Newegg and Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sshd

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2TB is plenty for both PS2 and PS3 games. A PS2 game (unless there are multiple discs) is ~4GB, so even 100 PS2 games would be 1/5th of that. Unless you're one of those people who needs to be actively playing 27 different games at once, I don't see why you would need more than that. You're about a week too late for asking about good hard drive (deals), since there was a fairly cheap 2TB SSHD on sale during Black Friday. Now you're looking at about $100 for a 2TB FireCuda. Same price at both Newegg and Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sshd
Go figure on missing the deals lol! So does a 2TB work in the PS3? I have heard 1.5 tb is max for an internal

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go figure on missing the deals lol! So does a 2TB work in the PS3? I have heard 1.5 tb is max for an internal
Eh, I haven't personally tested it and looking it up online there are people who say it works and people who say it doesn't. If you actually NEED more than 1TB, I would recommend going ahead and getting the 2TB drive. Worse case scenario, it won't work inside the PS3 but it'll work as an external, and you can just keep your 500GB drive inside.

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a Seagate 2TB external on newegg for $70 minus $10 promo code. Might get that for the 2TB external but I would still need a good internal 1.5tb

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use a 3.5'' sata drive 'internally' if you dont mind tapping the 12v rail and using sata extension cable. you can find lots of deals on high RPM 3.5'' drives. much faster.

Last edited by PhyChris,

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just saw people have been using NTFS drives for use with web man and multi man. So this would mean I could get a larger drive than 2tb? I ordered a 2tb but if I can go bigger I will cancel my order and go bigger. Would there be any reason to not get a 4tb over a 2tb besides the cost?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad