The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
UPDATE!
So an update to the thread. Pokemon Sun/Moon and Animal Crossing New Leaf update, will not work on RXTools. They require the 11.0 NATIVE_FIRM to work, where RXTools only works the 9.5 NATIVE_FIRM. This means that mostly any new games from here on out will start having this requirement, shorting the list of new games that will work with RXTools. Please, for the sake of future gaming on your 3DS, update to a new CFW.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509

I know this has been said a millions times now, but with the recent 3DS upgrade yesterday, I kept reading the same question over and over again, "Does RXTools still work?" "Is it safe to update with RXTools?" "RXTools?" ect.
Now despite the fact that it is currently safe to upgrade with RXTools, that doesn't mean people should still being it. Currently the only reason it's been safe is because Nintendo has been extremely stupid with their updates. That doesn't mean Nintendo will continue to be stupid.
Regardless, there's actually no reason for the average user to continue to use RXTools. Can the average user actually explain all of the features or even justify having them? What about actually trying to do a NAND backup with RXTools? Seriously, don't try to do NAND backups/restores with RXTools. RXTools is actually really bad at making NAND back ups and tends to freeze up/crash when doing so.
So what about the other features? I am just going to say, that if you are still using RXTools, then you are mostly not using the other parts of RXTools. Why? Because Decrypt9 does them all better. If you are actually using the other features, stop that as well. Again, they are buggy mess compared to Decrypt9. Decrypt9 has all the same features of RXTools (minus RXMode,) but unlike RXTools is still in active development, where features have been tested out and stabilized before being released to the public. Any CFW+Decrypt9 will result in better results than clinging to the buggy mess that is RXTools.

Now to address the other concerns. First, changing CFWs will not effect your NANDs, save data, CIAs, ect. CFWs do not actually write to the system and are not locked to your system when they are used. The simple truth is, your NANDs are safe when changing CFWs. CFWs don't actually write to the NANDs, they are only a means of reading them and mostly disabling signatures for Homebrews and "game backups." This means that no matter what CFW you go with, it won't have any effect on your actual NANDs. So you can safely switch from RXTools to any other CFW and retain the same NAND information. In fact, you can even multi-boot your system and boot into different CFWs, all running on the same NAND(s) without negative side effects. You can use this guide to updating to Luma3DS (or really any other CFW) on menuHAX. Or even use this guide for switching to A9LH. Regardless of the path you go on, just stop using RXTools, it's safe to stop using it and use something better. This odd fear seems to be the biggest reason people continue to cling to CFWs like RXTools, despite knowing RXTools is dead.

"But changing a CFW is hard!"
No, it's not. It will only take you like 5 minutes.

"But why fix what isn't broke?"
Because RXTools is broken and dead. RXTools has always been extremely unstable. It was just the mostly commonly used CFW because it was cutting-edge. Now back when it was still being developed, this unstable nature wasn't was big deal, because it was safe to assume someone would be there to fix it. Now that RXTools has been dead for several months, any bugs found or future OFW updates will not be addressed. The previously addressed unstable nature is never going to be dealt with, this means that known problems for crashing/freezing will always happen. It also doesn't help that you are betting the future of your CFW on that Nintendo will continue to be stupid when dealing out their updates. This is a risky bet, when you have options for CFWs that will continue to get updates for both bugfixes and to counter OFW updates.

"But I like RXTools!"
Why? If you are only using RXMode, then you aren't even using RXTools. RXMode provides nothing special that other CFWs don't already do and better. And if you are actually using the RXTools, then I've already explained why you need to stop that too. I mean, you could like RXTools, but that doesn't make it good nor a living project. Any CFW+Decrypt9 will get far better results compared to clinging to RXTools. The only thing holding someone back from updating is themselves at this point.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw that, but being in the Blog section, I knew it would be ignored.
Plus I felt like just being blunt and calling out all of the excuses. People aren't actually using Rxtools, they are using RXMode, which is a waste of RXTools.
well, it'd probably be useful if people want to know the technical reason to why rxTools could stop working. which is basically "rxTools uses kernel from 9.6, it only happened to work for 11.0 and 11.1 because Nintendo didn't make anything require the new kernel versions in 11.0+". of course it won't last for long.

incidentally, if they do update system titles (e.g. Home Menu) to require the new kernel version, it would fix the hardmod and DSiware downgrades at the same time.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
again really?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
People are still using RXTools and that needs to stop. Apparently making an entire thread explaining other CFWs and even explaining why you should them instead of RXTools was not enough.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
upload_2016-9-14_19-25-8.png

Well PSA is working...

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are still using RXTools and that needs to stop. Apparently making an entire thread explaining other CFWs and even explaining why you should them instead of RXTools was not enough.
It's still not going to work,people are not going to stop using it until it literally stops working literally until the very last moment they can use it then they will move on until then it's best to just ignore them unless you actually can help them

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THANK YOU! Now I can link the hardcore RXtool noobs to this so they will come to their senses and can switch to the far superior CFW's.

I'm not discriminating people at all. I'm just making a point.

And this also needs to be stickied! Admin, please sticky this now!

Sent from my Browser on a New 3DS XL with A9LH

Last edited by Skyshadow101,
Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's still not going to work,people are not going to stop using it until it literally stops working literally until the very last moment they can use it then they will move on until then it's best to just ignore them unless you actually can help them

50 people have started viewing this thread. I only posted it 30 minutes ago. It's small, but it shows people are looking. If I can get at least one person to finally stop using RXTools, then this thread has served it's purpose.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I guess they won't mind spending hundreds of dollars on another 3DS, that is on the latest firmware which prevents them from having CFW again. Because most likely by the time they realize they need to switch, it's too late and a bug bricks their system, or an update shuts down the CFW. Either way, last moment will be too late, considering a noob won't do anything until the shit hits the fan and costs them their 3DS/CFW completely. Proactive is less expensive than reactive, in this case.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I remember too. Somebody already tried this and apparently it didn't work then.
I am going to beat it into people this time. I won't stop sharing this thread until it gets through to people to stop using RXTools.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I mean I get that other CFWs are better but it's not really a PSA, more of just a suggestion. There's no immediate danger of using it so it's kinda misleading to label this as a PSA.
No immediate. but still highly recommended.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean I get that other CFWs are better but it's not really a PSA, more of just a suggestion. There's no immediate danger of using it so it's kinda misleading to label this as a PSA.
And this is why I have a PSA. Just because it works now, doesn't mean you should keep using it. It's unstable and dead, there's no reason for people to keep using it when there plenty of better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol
    19 inches it was glorious lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, If it doesn't fit, you should've gotten one smaller lol
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If a racoon can fit up to 8-inches then so be it
    +1
    Lol it it fits I sit? Lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Will it blend lol
    +1
    Blended families!!!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Blended families!!!