Please need advise because I ruined rail (stuck) screw.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by lolboy, Sep 19, 2018.

1. lolboy
    OP

lolboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

I replaced shell case of my Nintendo switch (clear version). In the process I ruined rail screw(s) because they are stuck. I wanted to unscrew all screws in order to replace back plate but figured out (to late) that it was not necessary.

I want to order new screws and replace the ruined ones...but those two screws are very stuck. How do I get them off?

See image:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Also any hint where to order new screw (set)?

Thank you very much!

2. Jil.10

Jil.10 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Italy
    Place a rubber band over them and try to unscrew.

[​IMG]

lolboy, andyhappypants and Haymose like this.
  3. noahc3

noahc3 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    Canada
    If you don't find any non-destructive methods that work, you can try use a dremmel to destroy just enough of the screw head, slide off the rail and then unscrew the rest with pliers/tweezers. I had to do this with mine that also had a stripped screw.

lolboy likes this.
  4. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
    Take an extremely tiny drill bit, one that is slightly smaller than the head of the screw, and drill the top off. You can then remove the real, and use needle nose pliers to grab the screw and rotate it out the rest of the way.

lolboy likes this.
  5. lolboy
    OP

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the advise so far.
    I am considering removing the shell case because it does not fit into the dock (smootly). I can't figure out what causes it not to fit.

6. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I used a pair of scissors and gripped tightly between the blades under the head and just twist and turn it out. Ofcourse if the body of the screw is all the way in this wont work

Last edited by MasterJ360, Sep 20, 2018
  7. lolboy
    OP

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the tip. Body is all in so it wont work.