Drummer16161616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I know this has been asked 1000 times before (and I know this because I've read almost every single thread about this topic), but I am experiencing a black screen of death. What happened was I turned on my wii and went to USB Loader GX and I realized I could hear no sound. I tried launching a game to see if the sound would come back. The screen froze on the black screen, so I turned off the wii. Then, I tried starting it up again, and I get a black screen and a green light on my wii. I can turn on the wii with my wiimote, but I can't get it to sync to the wii. I was thinking my bluetooth module died, but others I read that I wouldn't be able to turn on the wii if that happened. Nintendo says they'll repair it even though it's out of warranty, but it is softmodded and I am scared to send it in for many reasons.

Can anyone shed some light on what the issue could be? I don't think it's bricked since it was working fine and I didn't change anything in the past 6 months. I really don't mind taking it apart and fixing it myself, but with such an uninformative error, I don't know what the hell is wrong with it.

Does anyone know what happens if you send a softmodded wii to nintendo for repair?

Thanks a bunch!

Drummer16161616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you think a file in the NAND got corrupted when I turned it off? That seems really weird since I don't know what would be writing to the NAND under normal use.

No I dont have a priiloader, but when my tri-wing screwdriver comes in the mail, I can take apart the game cube controller and try to do savemiifri. If I can see the version number in the corner, does that mean I have a brick or bad hardware?

Why don't they have better error codes? I thought the 360's were bad, but anythings better than nothing lol.

Another question, does anyone know if I did send it into nintendo if they would upgrade the firmware if they could fix it and not send me a refurb?

x_r3ap3r_x

Trophies
XP
Hi, i have a Wii which is taken apart and i thought i would test a couple of things for you. The wii will turn on but show nothing (not connected screen displays on my LCD) if both, wifi and bluetooth modules are removed. It will turn on and show a black screen if the wifi module is plugged in and bluetooth removed.
And it will show nothing (not connected screen displays on my LCD) if the bluetooth module is plugged in and wifi is removed. So my guess is check the bluetooth module as this may be the cause of your ploblems.

And also Nintendo will probably just send it back unrepaired as it is softmodded.

Lord-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I send a wii to nintendo that i bricked an it was still in warranty,and yes they upgraded to the latest firmware. Also if they find that you messed whit it they will charge more for the repair.

Drummer16161616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x_r3ap3r_x said:
Hi, i have a Wii which is taken apart and i thought i would test a couple of things for you. The wii will turn on but show nothing (not connected screen displays on my LCD) if both, wifi and bluetooth modules are removed. It will turn on and show a black screen if the wifi module is plugged in and bluetooth removed.
And it will show nothing (not connected screen displays on my LCD) if the bluetooth module is plugged in and wifi is removed. So my guess is check the bluetooth module as this may be the cause of your ploblems.

And also Nintendo will probably just send it back unrepaired as it is softmodded.

Seriously, thanks a lot for doing that for me. That is really helpful information that is impossible to find online. Can you tell me if you can still turn on the wii with the wiimote with the bluetooth module unplugged?

I'm worried now that it is neither the bluetooth nor the wifi module, and may end up being a motherboard/GPU problem.

Are you guys sure that nintendo imposes a fine for sending in a soft-modded wi? It seems like it's mostly rumors, and would like to hear some first hand experience. I've heard conflicting information online, with some people saying they impose a 200$ fine and others saying they don't care at all about homebrew/softmod...

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fried GPU but still worked, softmodded and I deleted everything so you couldnt see HBC anymore (of course it was really still modded) And it was out of warranty by two months.
Repaired it for free and sent it back....it was a different unit, but appeared to be new and works great. I would have to say its just luck on who gets the unit and if they have enough time to really check it out. I will say that their customer support was A+ for me.

Drummer16161616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afnuke said:
Fried GPU but still worked, softmodded and I deleted everything so you couldnt see HBC anymore (of course it was really still modded) And it was out of warranty by two months.
Repaired it for free and sent it back....it was a different unit, but appeared to be new and works great. I would have to say its just luck on who gets the unit and if they have enough time to really check it out. I will say that their customer support was A+ for me.

Nice, lucky. Yea, I wouldn't doubt most of the time they just take your saves, games, and wiiware and throw them on a new console and put urs in a pile to be fixed later. I'm just worried they'll see the USB Loader GX channel and the 10 wiiware games I have on there that are copies. I'd like to hear first hand evidence if any of being charged for a softmod.

x_r3ap3r_x

Trophies
XP
Drummer16161616 said:
Seriously, thanks a lot for doing that for me. That is really helpful information that is impossible to find online. Can you tell me if you can still turn on the wii with the wiimote with the bluetooth module unplugged?

No you can not as the Wii remote runs off bluetooth and without it in the Wii where is the signal going to go?

I haven't heard of getting a fine for being softmodded as i dont think they can do that, but i have heard that Nintendo just send it back unrepaired.

Drummer16161616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x_r3ap3r_x said:
Drummer16161616 said:

No you can not as the Wii remote runs off bluetooth and without it in the Wii where is the signal going to go?

I haven't heard of getting a fine for being softmodded as i dont think they can do that, but i have heard that Nintendo just send it back unrepaired.

Well, I figured it's possible they might use normal infared or wireless to tell the wii to turn on and then the bluetooth connection was established. I guess that is not the case. You never know what random shit these guys do...I mean..who uses tri-wing screws lol.

Yea, it's not like they asked me when I called if it was soft-modded. They just made extra sure that I didn't open the console.

Drummer16161616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick update here...Already got my wii back from sending it in. They covered it under warranty even though it was 3 weeks past and hacked, and they gave me back a refurbed 4.2U version. Only problem is that they didn't give me my saved games, which now I am extremely angry about. My fuken god I was so close to beating zelda, MG1, MG2, and NSMB, and a ton more...now it's all GONE. The ironic thing is I had it all backed up as of a month ago on an SD card, but I wiped it to hack my friends wii for him and never got around to updating with my latest saves. Mother effers...I guess I better get to hacking it so I can do all this all over again.

Drummer16161616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh...all hacked and hard drive works fine, but getting frequent disc read errors with my old wii sports game. I have no idea if the drive is bad or if the disc is not compatible from an old wii. It's just one thing after another.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night