GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know about anyone else, but the Nintendo DS handheld system has been my favorite gaming system to date. That's going back quite a few years, mind you. I started gaming back in arcades in the 70s as a kid, and my first home console was the Atari 2600. I've burned through a lot of hardware between that time and now, and looking back, it's no contest; the DS has packed the most punch for me when it comes to gaming entertainment. It's personal, it's portable, and the interface has opened things up for folks to create some really creative content.

154408.jpg
lite.jpg

I'm excited for 3DS. It's obviously an amazing piece of hardware, but I likely won't adopt a system 'til next yet. I'll wait for the inevitable revision and (hopefully) price cut. I'd also like to see the software library build up a bit, not to mention see the advent of back-up options. In spite of looking forward to the new handheld, I'm already lamenting the loss of DS. We're about at that time where the software will begin to dry up for the system, and I'm sad to see it go. It's been one of the most fun rides in gaming for me thus far.

Nintendo DS, you will be missed!
cry.gif

dsi.jpg
xl.jpg

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think they will drop the ds the instant the 3ds will come out. Obviously that would be the most stupid thing to do. There are so many people with ds/dsl/i/iXL that brining out ds games is a prior to make money, as people will be dodging the 3ds at first to see if it would be worth the cash.

toffeecakes

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.xpango.com
XP
Country
DS is the only one I have... I doubt I'd be getting a 3DS until I graduate...
I just hope NDS will be alive for a few more years or else... I'd be outdated with new Pokemon games T_T (yeah... dumb reason -_-)

D

Deleted-246289

I agree with you, The DS brings back memories, and I am sad that it is going to die, and by "die" I mean that there is no more games created for it, and nobody will be playing on it (will affect Wi-Fi gaming).
On the bright side the 3DS is going to have backwards compatibility for the DS and DSi
biggrin.gif
, so the games will still be alive
smile.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
SmokeFox said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
I wish the DS still had more years left on it
cry.gif
I enjoyed the DS more than I enjoyed my SNES!
Me too, for me its the best console ever.
The 3DS has a lot to live up to, it better not disappoint
mad.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
The DS isn't going anywhere soon. It's longevity will be helped by the way the 3DS is designed.

This is because, unlike it's two predecessors, it's successor (3DS) has exactly the same size cartridge slot. This means that Nintendo no longer has any incentive to exclude DS compatibility. Before, it was to decrease the system's size and cost in their hardware revisions -- those motives won't be present this generation.

D

Deleted-246289

Sheaperd121 said:
I hope it stays. I love many of the games that were made for it.
3DS is going to have backwards compatibility, so you can still play the games made for the normal DS.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure the DS/DSi line will last at least another 2 years, and could drag on for up to 4 more years. Titles will still be produced for DS/DSi for quite a while. I think that there will be an increase in shovelware (even beyond the already insane levels), but there will still be a few gems coming down the pipes.

I think we'll see a switch where there will be less DS games and more DSi-enhanced, DSi-only and DSiWare games released. I wouldn't doubt that the regular DS will be completely discontinued in favor of only DSi and 3DS very soon, if it hasn't already happened.....

The way I understand it, Ninty plans to make the DS/DSi the budget handheld to produce for, so smaller, more cash limited developers can get their games out to the masses. So basically, the DS/DSi will be the kiddie/casual system (as it's always pretty much been), and the 3DS will be the hardcore system.

Ninty is a business, so we all know it will come down to how well the 3DS sells, how well the DS/DSi continues to sell and how well the software sells (and for what system) that will determine what Nintendo does next. And with Nintendo, there always seems to be a "twist" on what they do, compared to what people "think" they will do. So who really knows?

danweb

Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
given the large amount of users on the DS, i think that it will have a similar death to the PS2. Everything about them in terms of success is the same. Professor layton 4, i believe, will still come out in english on the DS and not the 3DS. The DS owners will still buy it, not throw away their consoles, and it can still be played on the 3DS anyway. Perhaps they might make some games that have special 3D features when played on a 3DS and just play normally on a DS or DSi. It would be a clever move. Encouraging the purchase of the new console if you buy the game while not forcing you to buy it in order to play the game. It would only require the removal of the little hook of a 3DS cartridge and i am sure they can code it like they did the DSi feature games. This would keep the console alive, just like the PS2, with the new games still being released on the older console and the newer, difference being using the same cartridge instead of a slightly different disc

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
In my opinion it all depends on how the 3DS sells and starts off. If barely anyone buys anything NDS/DSi related and only goes for the 3DS within a year It'll be the Gameboy Advance all over again.

Of course Nintendo doesn't want to lose the NDS/DSi because of how much money they make from it but of course if the 3DS does everything better then it's predecessor then Nintendo probably won't start making NDS games anymore and 3rd Parties will probably do the same.

I'm going to be sad to see the NDS leave but I was also sad when the PS2 stopped selling most games as well. The NDS and GBA are probably the two console's that will stay with me for the rest of my life as it's the reason I started to play most Video-Games today.

Let's all make the best of what we have so far and get as much NDS play-time as we can because when the 3DS arrives don't be surprised if our beloved hand-held dies out. I don't want the same as the GBA's Death to happen to another great console and hand-held.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
danweb said:
given the large amount of users on the DS, i think that it will have a similar death to the PS2. Everything about them in terms of success is the same. Professor layton 4, i believe, will still come out in english on the DS and not the 3DS. The DS owners will still buy it, not throw away their consoles, and it can still be played on the 3DS anyway. Perhaps they might make some games that have special 3D features when played on a 3DS and just play normally on a DS or DSi. It would be a clever move. Encouraging the purchase of the new console if you buy the game while not forcing you to buy it in order to play the game. It would only require the removal of the little hook of a 3DS cartridge and i am sure they can code it like they did the DSi feature games. This would keep the console alive, just like the PS2, with the new games still being released on the older console and the newer, difference being using the same cartridge instead of a slightly different disc
I will be keeping my DSi just on the off chance I cannot use my SCDS2 on my 3DS.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The system will only die if there are no more good games for it. I believe that by the end of the year, all the good developers will have shifted their entire focus to the 3DS.

MrWily

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I have many fond memories of my DS days. Tetris my first game on it, got me obsessed with puzzle games for a good while, but also realized that Tetris is as good as it gets. It was a console that gave a new generation a chance to play old, spruced up classics like DQ, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart and many more. And I loved how it just kept spitting out great games every month, something that it's ugly cousin the PSP never did. But development is inevitable, especially in the world of technology, so I give my old friend another year tops, but what a year it will be.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtube.com/shorts/zaubG06FZ1Q?si=sHbKxlndEs1l_swO