Playstation 4 Internet Problems

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by chavosaur, May 8, 2015.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    So I've scoured the net for solutions to my woes and sadly have et to find anything that has worked for me.

The basic rundown is, My PS4 loves to stop and start downloads, or just lose connectivity a lot. This happens the most in Bloodborne, where I lose connection to the servers a lot and get booted back to the home menu.

I've tried inputting new DNS for Google or other more private servers, I've tried resetting my MTU, I've tried placing it in a DMZ, I've tried plugging it in via Ethernet, and so far absolutely nothing has worked.

I can't tell if it's a hardware issue or a PSN issue, or something but other people I've asked in person don't have the problem, but I tend to see my issues pop up on other forums and on reddit a lot.
    If anybody has any idea what to do to possibly fix this problem, I'm all ears (or eyes I guess).

If it's hardware related, I suppose I'll just have to exchange it. Yay for warranty's I suppose.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Changing DNS to google or what have you is more or less snake oil. Basically, it gets you to a page faster, but once its there, still relies on the same connection you had before. DMZ, while dangerous, is the fastest (and most reckless) way to get a NAT type 1, which isnt always desirable. Especially at the cost of your system bascially sitting there with the doors open. If an Ethernet cable doesn't help, I would assume its nothing on your end. Either your ISP is dropping or getting choked up somewhere or its PSN. I am more willing to blame my ISP, but not everyone has shoestring ISP.

Do your other consoles have an issue? Like the Xbone, or your WiiU?

3. chavosaur
    OP

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Ah that's the other thing I meant t mention, my XBONE and Wii U have no issues with connectivity.

I was worried they were just stealing bandwidth So I disconnected both from the Internet and left the PS4 alone on the net, and still had strange connection.

Maybe it has something to do with my ISP? But my previous PS4 didn't even have this weird issue, which is why I was worried it may be hardware related.

4. BORTZ

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah thats odd, have you tried contacting sony support? Does that even exist?

This seems like it might be either something on psn's end (like something changed between you having your old ps4 and the new one) or a hardware issue. If its hardware though, thats odd. Most hardware issues are pretty binary. They work or they dont.

Cause I know even on my shizbox connection with Windstream as and ISP, downloads are slow, but uh, manageable, depending on your level of patience. The only real PS4 game I have much experience with is Destiny, and I get booted from time to time but not enough to think its a problem. Which is why I am wondering if this might be a game specific server issue?

[Image not found] "I dont know much about computers [/image not found]

chavosaur likes this.
  5. chavosaur
    OP

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I'll give it a shot, hopefully they can come
    Up with something. Like I said, it could also be my connection to Bloodborne, I'm not 100% sure. The stop/start downloads are a pain in the butt, but when I play Free to Play shooter Loadout, I have an almost perfect connection.

No idea what to do about it, so I guess I'll bug Sony

6. BORTZ

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    How strong is your connection? To give you an idea:

Mine is poor enough to limit me from Share Play, PS Now, PS Vue, and Streaming anything over 480p. Probably much less now, I think we added someone to the line one my road and even Crucible in Destiny is becoming a real issue.

7. chavosaur
    OP

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I get 50mbs down, 5 Up. Typically on PS4, my tests range from MAX of 19mb/s if I'm lucky, to an all time low of 32kb/s.

I tend to average a 3mb/s connection, which inevitably tends to dip downward at random points in time.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Have you had any power outages recently, or has your PS4 been unplugged while on sleep mode or whatever? Occasionally that causes problem with connections dying randomly, and "fixing" that just requires you to manually power the PS4 off (by holding the power button for like 5-10 seconds or something) and turning it back on.

If that's not a problem, I'm not entirely sure what it could be. PSN has been fine for me, and my girlfriend hasn't been booted off PSN or Bloodborne when she plays, so I don't think it's their problem. Which would most likely indicate a problem with your PS4, possibly hardware or something, but I'm not sure about that either cuz you said it happens on both wifi and ethernet and the chances of both modules being defected would be pretty low...

Possibly a FW problem, maybe? But you wouldn't be able to test that really since you can't downgrade and stuff...maybe your router just hates your PS4? I assume you've checked on other devices that your connection is fine during any of the PS4 downtimes...:unsure:

I guess asking Sony support and seeing what they think might not be a bad idea, but I'd imagine they won't have much of a clue either.

9. chavosaur
    OP

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Now that you mention it actually, our power went out very recently when My PS4 was in rest mode.

Since then, I don't think I've actually powered the console off, I think I've only been putting it in rest mode.

When I get home I'll try turning it off and actually leaving it off for a bit to rest and then try turnin it on and see if my problems continue.

Otherwise I guess the only other thing would be maybe rebuilding my PS4's database? My only gripe with that is if I do that, I'll lose PT and won't be able to re download it ;o;

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Rebuilding the database won't make you lose any games :mellow: Even games removed from the PS store.

11. chavosaur
    OP

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I thought rebuilding the database erased your hard drive?

Or is that initializing it? Either way, I know that They have now pulled PT from the store completely, to the point where it can't even be re-downloaded if you have downloaded it previously. Only reason why I'm reluctant to do anything that erases my HDD.

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Initializing is reformatting, rebuilding the database does just that, it rebuilds the database that lists everything installed on the PS4. The only thing it deletes would be playlists and...messages, I think, everything else stays.

chavosaur likes this.