Playstation 1 mod chip?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by user1690, Aug 5, 2011.

Aug 5, 2011

Playstation 1 mod chip? by user1690 at 8:24 PM (7,150 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. user1690
    OP

Newcomer user1690 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys!

Just want to apologize now if this is breaching any rules, and if so of course feel free to lock/delete this thread.

So i got out my old Playstation 1 Console and games collection and decided i would like to mod the console to allow backups, for when the day comes that the original disks wear out or become damaged (Metal Gear solid is for sure gonna die first, i play that ALOT).

Anyone got any idea's where i can find such modchips? (Stealth preferred, dont want the game failing on me because it found the modchip) I understand that its probably not going to be as simple as some console hacks today are where its just plug and play, i know theres probably going to be some soldering/wiring involved. Unless anyone knows of a modchip for the Playstation 1's I/O Port?

Heck, if anyone is selling a modded Playstation 1, or knows where i can get one already modded feel free to let me know. [​IMG]

2. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Does the double disc swap method not work on this model?

[youtube]M-_9kQyyr_o[/youtube]

4. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I believe it works on all PlayStation and PSone, however stopping a motor to quickly swap game disc may not be good in the long run for disc, laser and motors.
    However playing burned, dirty, or scratched disc can wear down the laser's life faster
    I don't know much about the Port I/O mods, they do exist, but finding something this old may not be easy.

5. MSaki

Member MSaki GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hmm use 4pin modchip or parallel port mod via old gameshark by flashing its rom.

6. jinnpan

Member jinnpan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you need a chip just PM
    I have several and all are stealth

7. user1690
    OP

United Kingdom
    Can i have more info on the parrallell port mod you mention? I would like to see if i can try that (first i need to find an old Gameshark [​IMG] ) before i go soldering a chip in as my soldering skills are...well....not good yet.

8. MSaki

United States

first do you have a ps1 with a port on it usually 100X to 750X has it

for 1 you need an old 1st edition gameshark non cd heres a pic : [​IMG]

then use swap disk once ONCE! and get a disk called x-flasher running with your games shark is attached

link : http://www.murraymoffatt.com/playstation-xplorer.html (says xplorer but works great on gameshark for flashing)

once you have x flash then you can add roms to it once you have the roms for your gamesharks firmware you want.

link : http://xianaix.net/museum.htm (note i suggest zippy and ahoy as they already have the exploit that causes the disk to stop spinning for swap)

once you have the roms and x-flash files follow instructions and burn to a cd-r then swap trick it with your gameshark atached its easy to get swap trick once you figure out the way it runs..

this is for hardware based gameshark add on only! cdx versions are not supported.
    (rom size may variy depending on what device you use gameshark action replay or xplorer (all hardware))

feel fee to msg me and or ask if you want to buy one in a month as im out of those devices iv got alot of old crow and gg43 flashed 4-6 pin chips for ps1 ready for solder. (and lots of other chips for systems)

9. user1690
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have an old console with the Parallel port, i have been searching up the gameshark method, and i've also found something called Breaker Pro 1.1, seems to have similair functions. With Breaker Pro, i insert the disk, have the lid sensor blocked, load it up and press "Start Game" then the disk stops spinning and i swap my backup in. Is this better than the Gameshark method, do you know if compatibility would be affected?

I cant really find much info on the gameshark stuff, other than patches/firmware.

10. MSaki

United States
    code breaker is completely different and its a cdx so its patched only the one posted above is flash-able, cdx is a software exploit via signed cd.

i cant help you with cd based ps1 stuff as i never use cd mods

sorry

11. user1690
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hmmm, i'll see if i can get more info on this. Off to google i go for more searching! If i cant find anything more, i'll buy Breaker Pro and give that a shot instead. Also, this may seem obvious, but what is it exactly that disallows backup disks being played in an unmodded console? Is it the actual systems bios located on the ROM chip or something else?

12. MSaki

United States
    uh dude bam! http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTERACT-GAME-SHAR...=item255ec6a839

thats what you want and NO! the rom in the ps1 is read only i was talking about the gameshark add on`s rom, above is the link to one, cheap to and is exact version needed

13. user1690
    OP

United Kingdom
    I was not going to enquire about modifying the PS1's internal ROM. I am aware its read only [​IMG]

I was meerly asking a question.

Thanks for the link [​IMG] - Which i will use if i cant find a UK seller of this. Shipping is $27 which might not seem like much in GBP but still....

14. MSaki

United States

ok and who knows if its read only as there always is a way to re flash old chips/replace them.

ill look into it as iv got 12 playstation (big gray) and 4 ps1 (small white) systems to destroy as in mess with them.

k? cya later >_>

(NOTE for Depravo all ps1 even ps2 have the glitch for ps1 swap disk. only side effect with hand swap trick is that toc could cause a factor. so its good to use a high toc disk in a situation as show in your post)

15. user1690
    OP

United Kingdom
    I found a video a while back where someone got a PSOne BIOS onto a regular phat PS1, by simply adding a normal FLASH (re-writable) chip and writing the PSOne BIOS to it, it worked as well and i exchanged a few PM's regarding a custom PS1 bios. But the guy's gone quiet and i havent heard back from him, last thing he said was its doubtful a custom PS1 Bios would be possible without source code.

16. MSaki

United States

oh is that what you mean... you ment the internal read only eeprom? yah solder a removable socket and inject any bios but never put any bios lower than your firmware if i remember ps1 bios dont have parallel string so it wont use it (nulled)

also if you flashed a ps 7501 for example with 1001 bios it would go to black screen and lock up on boot.

iv done this back in 2007 old news.... iv done a internal bios/eeprom chip swap with my gc and ps1 also dreamcast

(havnt heard of a vid so idk what he did but simple socket is sane to me lol)

17. user1690
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yes i meant that, ROM, EEPROM, Whatever [​IMG] Im just calling it ROM.

But yes, thats what i meant. Is it not possible to modify the bios to do exactly what a modchip does? Which I THINK is just address jumping, causing the PS1 to skip CD Authenticity checks? (Basically allow backups)

Again, just a question. I dont plan on doing it when there are easier alternatives.

18. nasune

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    You might also be able to do it with a smart cartridge
    [youtube]JVPbIxhKVxY[/youtube]
    These appear to do the same as a gameshark, and are cheap as dirt (at least the one I bought was 1,50). Not sure how well it'll work though, I can't use mine (I have a PSOne).

19. MSaki

United States

same problem there is not soft mod in terms that does that but a hard mod involving soldering can cause that also who wants to make a custom bios for ps1 when ps2 is cheaper and can run freemc boot but i see what your going at and yes i was able to get backups running but it would involve soldering 4-6 wires to a chip with enough 512k + space for a new rom

it has been done but many people dont post there findings online as life is distracting. [​IMG]

20. MSaki

United States

those are gamesharks flashed with a new rom and have a diffrent sticker if you crack one open it has the datel and gameshark logo on the back of the mini mobo also have the seriel port removed i saw these at a thrift store

in an easy way to say is its a fake gameshark and or made using same tut i posted on page 1