Hacking PLAYS MOVIES ONLY!

ghost085

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings all! I am in desperate hopes that someone can help me. I have a 4.1u sofmodded with Maui Frog's Softmod Any Wii guide. I recently re-softmodded it with all the latest updates. Also, I installed a brand new drive because I thought my issue was stemming from a bad drive/laser. Anyway, I am unable to play retail original games via the disc channel AND i cannot play backup games via neogamma! I receive the black read error screen. But, my console plays original retail dvd movies perfectly! I haven't tried a blu-ray movie.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or what is causing this issue? Is it bad firmware? Does the laser read dvd movies differently than game discs? I greatly appreciate any help that is offered! Thank you.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
k, bluray movies won't work so don't bother trying, this isn't a PS3 we're talking about here.

Not all Wii's can play backup discs, newer models (post 2009) can only read original discs.... in fact, I was under the impression that they could only read original Wii discs, but since u can play retail dvd movies but not backup Wii discs I'm a little confused. Maybe my memory is failing me and new Wii's can play retail Wii games and retail dvd's (using WiiMC), but I don't think so. If someone else could step in and jog my memory I'd appreciate it (queue Joostin, cuz I know he loves correcting me since the opportunities to do so are usually pretty scarce, lol)

And now for a shitload of questions:

How are you loading your dvd's? WiiMC?

Are you able to play retail original games via neogamma? Have you tried using a usb-loader? What happens when you load a retail game via the disc channel?

How did you resoftmod it? Using mauifrog's guide again like you did the first time?

Can you create a syscheck log from your Wii and post the results here?

edit:
damn, ninja'd by Foez! :P

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. First of all, I believe the normal wii drives aren't made to play DVD movies. Even playing with softmods can have some issues. If you bought your DVD drive from any retailer, then you bought a drive that was made NOT to read Wii games. Most DVD drives now days can't read them period. Believe me, I tried. You have to buy an old drive that is said to be able to read Wii discs, or even look around for replacement drives that were made specifically for the Wii.

As for loading backups via NeoGamma, I don't know much about that. I use USB Loader GX and UNEEK to play my games

Blu-Ray?

Sounds like you screwed up one of the BIOS' someone with more experience will be able to help you there.
I hope that you were joking by that statement. The wii doesn't have a BIOS, but it does have IOS's.

Post a syscheck log, in a spoiler.
Actually, they do. Either BIOS or EFI. The BIOS is the information that is loaded when you press the power button. It's Boot 0, though that's suppose to be read only and unable to be broken, unless of course the hardware installation went bad or caused a short in the CPU.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Actually, they do. Either BIOS or EFI. The BIOS is the information that is loaded when you press the power button. It's Boot 0, though that's suppose to be read only and unable to be broken, unless of course the hardware installation went bad or caused a short in the CPU.
I know, I was going to say something "It doesn't have anything that is generally referred to as a BIOS", but I didn't want to add in more confusion. But his statement about a BIOS could further confuse the noob. Kinda like the blind leading the blind.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I was going to say something "It doesn't have anything that is generally referred to as a BIOS", but I didn't want to add in more confusion. But his statement about a BIOS could further confuse the noob. Kinda like the blind leading the blind.
I prefer blonde leading the blind or blind leading the blonde. :D But I understand. Still, Ghost85 said brand new drive, and all brand new DVD drives you buy from standard retailers can't read Wii game discs. You'd either have to buy an old drive that's been known to read Wii game discs, which most are refurbished and so close to the end of their life span anyways, or buying from online retailers that specialized in repairing of consoles like the Wii.

ghost085

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k, bluray movies won't work so don't bother trying, this isn't a PS3 we're talking about here.

Not all Wii's can play backup discs, newer models (post 2009) can only read original discs.... in fact, I was under the impression that they could only read original Wii discs, but since u can play retail dvd movies but not backup Wii discs I'm a little confused. Maybe my memory is failing me and new Wii's can play retail Wii games and retail dvd's (using WiiMC), but I don't think so. If someone else could step in and jog my memory I'd appreciate it (queue Joostin, cuz I know he loves correcting me since the opportunities to do so are usually pretty scarce, lol)

And now for a shitload of questions:

How are you loading your dvd's? WiiMC?

Are you able to play retail original games via neogamma? Have you tried using a usb-loader? What happens when you load a retail game via the disc channel?

How did you resoftmod it? Using mauifrog's guide again like you did the first time?

Can you create a syscheck log from your Wii and post the results here?

edit:
damn, ninja'd by Foez! :P
WOW! First, I would like to thank each of you for your time and input!!

Now to try to answer some of your questions. This is an older Wii...it's my sister's...and I would guess it is probably 4 - 5 years old now. I cannot remember the first softmod I did but it wasn't from this site or wiihacks. But, I redid the mod with Maui Frog's guide after my nieces updated it via nintendo to 4.3. This was probably a couple years ago now. So, a couple weeks ago I updated the mod with Maui Frog's guide because I was unable to play any discs..I thought it was a software issue. Since this did not work I went on Ebay and purchased a supposedly new wii disc drive. I believe it was sitting on a shelf for awhile or it could've been a reconditioned one..I don't know. But it is indeed a wii drive and it appeared new. I didn't write the chipset down but i think it was a d2c something. Anyway, it was identical to the original drive except the chipset was different.

I've tried retail original games with disc channel and neogamma, and backup games (dvd-r) using disc channel and neogamma..no dice. When I insert a original game and try disc channel i get a couple beeps and then the clicking sound of the laser moving back and forth. It does that a few times then it goes to the black disc read error screen (eject disc, hit reset, power off or whatever it says). The backup discs aren't even recognized by neogamma..it gives me an error as well. The only way I can get the drive to work is to go into WiiMC and play a movie. I haven't tried a blu-ray movie..this was a regular dvd. Also, I am able to play all my games via usb hdd..that isn't an issue. Do you think it has anything to do with dual layer discs? or bad system menu?? I have no idea.

The main reason I want this drive to work is so I can copy my new original retail games directly to the usb hdd. So, I have attached a system check for you guys to check out. Once again, thank you so much for the help..I'm at wits end here. Please let me know if there is anything you think I should try or please ask as many questions as you like and I'll try my best to answer them all..Thanks again guys!! Btw, here is the link to the exact drive that I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

sysCheck v2.1.0b13 by Double_A and R2-D2199
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).
Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.0/4.1U (v54449)
Priilaoder installed
Homebrew Channel 1.0.0 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 63958436
Boot2 v4
Found 113 titles.
Found 52 IOS on this console. 3 of them are stub.
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[75] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS245[37] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS246[38] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[53] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[55] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v65535
Report generated on 2008/04/01.

ghost085

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions to try so I can get this wii working again...hopefully I provided enough info?

ghost085

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only enabled the 4 suggested by the Maui frog guide (block disc/online updates, Remove diagnostic disc check, move disc channel)...so no, I didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try disabling those and seeing if anything is read from the disc at all, even a prompt for an update. Also, if you've ever installed DVDx, remove it.

If that doesn't work, you could try remodding it once more with Modmii (just batch installing the IOSes).

As for your current IOSes, I don't see anything wrong. There's a single stub though.

ghost085

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will give those a try! Thanks a lot for your help..it is very much appreciated...if after I try these suggestions it still doesn't work, could I pm you or just ask for your help via this topic?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend reinstalling your system menu and IOS files with ModMii. Although not very likely, you might have a messed up IOS file somewhere that's not helping with your issue. I also do not like that your system menu is version 54449, but it's probably something benign and I just don't know about it. Either way, reinstalling everything with ModMii is what I would have tried first. Overwriting the system menu will automatically get rid of Priiloader and eliminate that variable.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on