Playing Wiiware off an SD card?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by chanbog, Jan 14, 2012.

Jan 14, 2012
  1. chanbog
    OP

Newcomer chanbog Member

Canada
    I just recently modded my Wii using Xflax's ModMii. Everything went perfectly :D

I know you can install wiiware by downloading the .wad for the game off the internet or something, but I ALSO know that you have to install it on to your Wii using a .wad manager.

However, just saw a video, and this guy loaded Final Fantasy: My Life as King off his SD card. What!? So you don't have to install it? It doesn't even seem like his Wii is modded. How did he do this?

Also, is this a better method to play Wiiware? To play it off an SD card, so that you don't have to install it and risk corrupting your Wii if it's a bad .wad?

Video is her btw:
    Padarak

[youtube]http://youtu.be/MAd6iaRRI5g[/youtube]

2. geoGolem

Newcomer geoGolem Advanced Member

Canada
    The guy in the video simply installed the wad (or downloaded from the shop) to the wii as you normally would and then moved the channel to the SD card via the Wii Data Manager. Nothing really special here. This does allow you to save some space on the wii for more channels but when the title runs it still runs from the internal NAND.

If you really want to install wiiWare channels in bulk to an external drive or sd card look into nand emulation with wiiflow or mighty channels.

3. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    best method to play wiiware is to buy it you silly billy

4. geoGolem

Newcomer geoGolem Advanced Member

Canada
    I agree best method to play wiiware is to buy it... To try it.. is another story ... at least in my opinion ;)

5. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States

haha if you download from a trusted site, then you should be fine with the wads..have a nand backup if you're worried. :P

6. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Interesting, I had no idea you could move the Wiiware to the SD card in the SM and then just simply play it. Thats a nice feature by Nintendo I must say.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yes it's been in there since 4.0..

FIX'D :P