playing mp4 or avi

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by craiganater, Nov 1, 2008.

Nov 1, 2008

playing mp4 or avi by craiganater at 7:05 AM (1,154 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. craiganater
    OP

Newcomer craiganater Member

Australia
    i know that moonshell can play videos in DPG format but are there any homebrew applications that can play mp4 or avi videos?

2. CorruptedAngel

Member CorruptedAngel GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    no no never the ds just ist powerful enough to decode any format other than dpg..
    sorry for being harsh, but you dont know how many people ask that, like nearly every day

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Not quite.

There's an mp4 player, but it has no sound and doesn't play back videos at full speed. More of a proof of concept than anything.

For AVI, look at Tuna-viDS. The framerate maxes out at 12-15 fps (depending on how much of the screen you end up using), but it's a decent alternative.

You're going to have to convert your videos no matter what though. Moonshell tends to be the best for most video playing, but I use tuna-viDS on occasion, especially for videos that absolutely must remain in-sync.

4. craiganater
    OP

Newcomer craiganater Member

Australia

no no, i perfectly understand. i assumed i wouldn't of been the first to ask but i couldn't find anything by searching so i had to as for myself, ok well then ill just convert them to DPG. Thank you

5. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    you can play mp4 and avi files when somebody manages to overclock the DS 400% and physically add 64MB to the PCB. until then your chances are SLIM TO NONE.

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
  7. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    naw its fun to poke fun at people that ask this question and put it in the wrong section Dan.