Play 3DS .cia online?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SockNaste, Jan 9, 2016.

1. SockNaste
    OP

SockNaste My Little Pony Fetish

Banned
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    2 High To Remember
    Hi sorry about my noob question. I am actually a very skilled hacker, but not at 3ds :P. So avoiding that here is my question. Can I play a .cia online? No ban? If I can, but I might be banned how can I avoid a ban. If I can't then just tell me if it will ever be possible? Thanks!

2. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    yes you can play online with a cia, can you get banned? I've heard of it but with cia files? I doubt you will get banned using those :)

3. SockNaste
    OP

Banned
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    2 High To Remember
    What exactly prevents me from being banned with a .cia?

4. jscjml

jscjml Monster Hunter

Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    Las Vegas
    The fact that a .cia does not contain a rom header, which is unique to every cartridge. This is how they track online activity in games for the 3DS, although they're only present in .3ds roms and on cartridges themselves.
    Don't rule the possibility out though, im sure Nintendo can do something if they cared (which they obviously dont, we've been fine for almost 2 years now)

If you use a .3ds/.3dz file you can inject a private header (you can get a header from your own cartridge thats unique if you dump the whole game from the GW launcher or some other backup tool) into a "backup" of some sort. We have however, seen cases of online bans with people using .3ds files with public headers. As this is the case, everyone should be using their own private one from a game they bought at a store. You can use the same private header on all of your .3ds games also.
    You can use Gateway ROM Patcher to inject/export ROM headers. There might be another tool, i dont know though cause this one does the job cleanly.

5. SockNaste
    OP

Banned
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    2 High To Remember
    Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. Now I can play Tri-Force heros. :lol:

jscjml likes this.
  6. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Please don't make useless threads for simple to know answers, that's why we have google :D , it's like making a thread saying if it's possible to use 3ds roms with gateway...

RSA6974 likes this.
  7. 75mak

75mak GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2011
    I've read on these forums some cases of where .CIA users have been banned while playing out of region games or patched English jap games like monster hunter X online.

Don't know if it's confirmed though

8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    CIA's are safe but not even I would pirate DLC for online games such as Monster Hunter and Smash.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Probably because NA 3DS's shouldn't be on JP servers ;)

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Jan 9, 2016
    HackerLion likes this.